Author Topic: Windows Update blocked by Avast?  (Read 9055 times)

anabasi

Windows Update blocked by Avast?
« on: July 13, 2007, 10:10:32 AM »
Hello

I am not able to update Windows XP HE (service pack 2) through "Windows Update". In the past there were not problems, but a few days ago the "Windows Update" web site gave me the following error message:
"0x80070020 The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process"
I found a Microsoft_web_page who gives the following informations:
This problem occurs when your computer has an antivirus program that uses real-time scanning.

This workaround may make your computer or your network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses. We do not recommend this workaround but are providing this information so that you can implement this workaround at your own discretion. Use this workaround at your own risk.To work around this problem, you must temporarily turn off the real-time scanning feature of your antivirus program.

After you turn off real-time scanning by your antivirus program, download the updates from the Windows Update Web site or from the Microsoft Update Web site, but do not install the updates. After you download the update files, turn on real-time scanning by your antivirus program. Use your antivirus program to scan the update file for any potential virus. After your antivirus program has scanned and verified the update files, you can then install the updates.

I always used Avast, now and in the past. Why did this problem come up only now?
Have you got the same difficulties in updating Windows?

The most important question: is this procedure correct? (Turn off the real-time scanning in order to download the update)

Thanks for the help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Windows Update blocked by Avast?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 01:58:19 PM »
I always used Avast, now and in the past. Why did this problem come up only now?
Have you got the same difficulties in updating Windows?
No... it's not a known issue. If you try Dial-a-fix (http://wiki.DjLizard.net/Dial-a-fix) Windows Update refresh (#3)?

The most important question: is this procedure correct? (Turn off the real-time scanning in order to download the update)
No, it isn't. We must find another way to do so.
The best things in life are free.

anabasi

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 10:23:10 AM »
Thanks for the help

I got the Dial-a-fix web page.
Although this tool is ordinarily meant for power users, technicians, and administrators, it is quite safe to use even without technical guidance (although guidance is recommended).
.....it is highly recommended to use it under the guidance of a technician.

I'm not a technician, and I don't know if I am enough a "power user".
Does Dial-a-fix make an analysis before repairing Windows problems and prompt you about repairing or not? (In this case, I could use it without difficulties.)
Does Dial-a-fix modify the Windows Registry only? (In this case, I could backup it before repairing)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 05:06:05 PM »
It is quite safe to use even without technical guidance (although guidance is recommended).
Well... again, this is a weird behavior I never heard before using avast and Windows Update without problems.
If you click on the 'hammer' button of Dial-a-fix you'll see some operations explained.
But I would disable avast once, update windows through the official Microsoft site and start avast again, hoping that this trouble does not return back again. Seems safer than messing your computer.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 05:50:02 PM »
No, it isn't. We must find another way to do so.

I like Tech don't believe it necessary and haven't done so in the past with WU, now however I tend to download the patches myself and install them.

You could try pausing the standard shield and possible web shield and at least see if it starts or you get an error, this would confirm that it isn't avast and then stop the update to start avast again. But, I personally wouldn't like to do that (pause avasts protection), certainly not for downloading XP SP2 update as that can be up to 266Mb in size.

You may be better off trying to find a means of downloading the SP2 Update as a separate download and not do it through windows update. There are two reasons for this, 1) you aren't going through windows update with all its issue and 2) you then have a copy of SP2 if you ever need to reinstall your OS you don't have to download it again.

See google search hits, http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+xp+sp2+download, care should obviously be taken on the source you choose, it has to be reputable.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en
You should probably be OK with this one ;D
Or http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Windows-XP-SP2-RTM.shtml.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mauserme

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 06:39:08 PM »
I have some experience with this problem but no solution

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23775.msg196318#msg196318

anabasi

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 07:49:29 AM »
Finally I discovered the reason of the impossibility in updating Windows XP using "Windows Update".
The software which was blocking the update is SpyBot Search & Destroy. Now, I can update Windows regularly; only I have to deactivate the SpyBot Resident before.
Of course, the problem was not Avast! :D

Thanks for the help you tried to give me!

CharleyO

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 08:22:40 AM »

Finally I discovered the reason of the impossibility in updating Windows XP using "Windows Update".
The software which was blocking the update is SpyBot Search & Destroy. Now, I can update Windows regularly; only I have to deactivate the SpyBot Resident before.
Of course, the problem was not Avast! :D

Thanks for the help you tried to give me!
That, too, is strange. I also use XP Home with Spybot resident running and have never had that interfer with Windows Update. Perhaps it is some settings in the resident that you may have changed ... or not changed.    ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 01:51:14 PM »
I too find that strange, I used S&D for some time (and no problem with WU) before uninstalling it as I felt I had more than enough protection and S&D never found anything that the others didn't/missed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 03:33:03 PM »
I agree with DavidR. 

I have not had problems with WU bit I did have major problems with the latest Spybot S&D so I have totally removed it from my two WinXP Home systems as it never found anything only a few cookies that I want to keep to assist me in auto logging in to the forums I frequent.

The biggest hit for me was the massive HOSTS file that it installed and blocked access to sites I know are safe.

By the way, I use McAfee's SiteAdvisor to give me an indication of sites that I am about to visit through Google searches:
http://www.siteadvisor.com

I also use and recommend WinPatrol and I was so impressed with it I purchased the PLUS upgrade:
http://www.winpatrol.com

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 08:53:58 PM »
I have the latest Spybot version installed and updated in my computer (XP SP2+).
Not a problem with WU ???

The biggest hit for me was the massive HOSTS file that it installed and blocked access to sites I know are safe.
You can remove this 'extra' protection. It's a configuration that could be changed in Spybot.

anabasi

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 07:13:26 AM »
I was using the old version of SpyBot (1.4). From the half of July, it became impossible to update Windows through Windows Update (the Microsoft's web page always answered "error 0x8024402C"); only the manual updating was allowed (downloading and installing the patches one by one). The updates of Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird became impossible, too.

I recently discovered that the origin of the problem was the Resident of SpyBot; I deactivated it and I got the updates of Windows and Mozilla. The strange thing is that I used SpyBot during the last two years (starting with the version 1.3) without any problem, and I never changed the settings of the Resident!

Yesterday I downloaded and installed  the new version of SpyBot (1.5.1), and everything works: I updated Windows using Windows Update, without having to deactivate the Resident. :D

Thanks for the help!

CharleyO

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 09:31:48 AM »

Yesterday I downloaded and installed  the new version of SpyBot (1.5.1), and everything works: I updated Windows using Windows Update, without having to deactivate the Resident. :D

Thanks for the help!
Which goes to show, that like all other security programs, Spybot-S&D needs to be kept up-to-date for it to work correctly.    ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 02:21:24 PM »
<snip>
Yesterday I downloaded and installed  the new version of SpyBot (1.5.1), and everything works: I updated Windows using Windows Update, without having to deactivate the Resident.

Thanks for the help!

No problem, happy that things are now working fine.

Thanks for the feedback.