Author Topic: AIM 6.2 Blocked by Avast?  (Read 4314 times)

Zhaozer

AIM 6.2 Blocked by Avast?
« on: July 14, 2007, 06:59:48 AM »
Today I decided to switch from my old McAffee VirusScan 8.0i to Avast Home Edition.  However, after installation, now my AIM 6.2 refuses to work properly!  Every time I click to start AIM, it flashes for a moment, then disappears without any kind of message.  I've tried starting AIM after shutting down Avast, but there's no difference.

Anyone else out there have this similar problem?  I would love to hear a solution!  Thanks guys.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: AIM 6.2 Blocked by Avast?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 02:16:04 PM »
This article provides the steps to remove SecurityCenter from your computer.
http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq3.asp?docid=71525

If you need, you can find many free versions of these registry cleaners here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/system/fwregtools.html

Sometimes, McAfee won't be completely removed if, before, you do not uninstall Avast, including the use of its "Uninstall Application" if necessary (www.avast.com/eng/faq-install-uninstall-avast.html).
The best things in life are free.

Zhaozer

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 03:47:15 AM »
Unfortunately, I tried your tips and they didn't fix the problem.  :'(  I also noticed now that another program, MediaMonkey, is also having issues.  I have an add-on called MagicNodes which runs a script to do its thingy... long story short, that add-on doesn't work anymore, and when I open MediaMonkey every time now it says something is preventing the script engine from running.

Any other ideas guys?  I'm stuck in a rut, because uninstalling/reinstalling didn't seem to work either.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 03:53:26 AM »
Please, post the last 100-150 lines of avast log: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Setup.log

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 03:56:32 AM »
FWIW,

A couple of the folks I support are using both avast and Mediamonkey without any conflicts on WinXP SP2.

Niemann

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 11:44:14 PM »
I am the same problem I was disappointed with Norton 2005 and someone told me about AVAST, but now I cant use AIM 6. It does the same thing I opened it and it flashed up then closed.  HELP

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 12:13:31 AM »
How did you get rid of NAV 2005, it is a pig to completely remove ?

A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

As has been said in other posts, avast doesn't block it isn't a firewall, it scans content and alerts if infection is found. What is your firewall ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 04:39:20 AM »
Please, post the last 100-150 lines of avast log: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Setup.log
I'm disappointed... Zhaozer disappeared.