Author Topic: need help with patience  (Read 23207 times)

newb

need help with patience
« on: July 14, 2007, 02:07:36 PM »

I have a terrible problem... when I am online and searching for web sites some unknown pages appear on my screen.... how do I get rid of them?
please please help with patience... I am really new.....

I have win98M DSL connection and avast4.

Thanks in advance for your time and help....

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: need help with patience
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 02:16:38 PM »
If a virus is replicant (coming and coming again), you could follow the general cleaning procedure:

1. Disable System Restore on Windows ME or Windows XP. System Restore cannot be disabled on Windows 9x and it's not available in Windows 2k. After boot you can enable System Restore again after step 3).

2. Clean your temporary files. You can use CleanUp or the Windows Advanced Care features for that.

3. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast. Start avast! > Right click the skin > Schedule a boot-time scanning. Select for scanning archives. Boot. Other option is scanning in SafeMode (repeatedly press F8 while booting).

4. It will be good if you download, install, update and run AVG Antispyware. Some users recommend SUPERantispyware, Spyware Terminator and/or a-squared (take care about false positives).
If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.

5. If you still detecting any strange behavior or even you're sure you're not clean, maybe it will be good to test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest AVG, Panda and/or F-Secure BlackLight.

6. Also, if you still detecting strange behaviors or you want to be sure you're clean, maybe making a HijackThis log to post here and, specially, scan and submit to on-line analysis the RunScanner log would help to identify the problem and the solution.

7. After you're clean, use the immunization of SpywareBlaster or, which is better, the Windows Advanced Care features of spyware/adware cleaning and removal.

8. Finally, when you're clean, check for insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector to update insecure applications and avoid reinfection.
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 04:04:56 PM »

I have a terrible problem... when I am online and searching for web sites some unknown pages appear on my screen.... how do I get rid of them?
please please help with patience... I am really new.....

I have win98M DSL connection and avast4.

Thanks in advance for your time and help....

Two things you don't mention:
1. what is your browser ?
Because you are using win98 you won't be able to have the latest version of IE, so you should choose another browser which is more up to date and likely to be less susceptible to this kind of hijack, like Firefox or Opera.

2. you don't say if you have a firewall and absolute essential to security and more so with a DSL, always on connection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

newb

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 09:36:47 AM »
thank you so much Tech and DavidR
I really mean thank you......

This is what I have done:
To Tech:
1. I could not do number 1.
2. clean up has lots of options. which one should I pick?
advanced windows care is only for vista. XP and 2000... mine is 98M  can I still use that?
3. I am using avast in another language and can not find the skin to do the schedule boot scan... can I arrange that on the avast web site?
AVG antispyware is also for vista XP and 2000
superantispyware downloaded and I run the program.
spyware terminator downloaded and run the program too... while downloading a warning came saying:
Internet Explorer Error
Line:2
charac. 1
Error: word order? {sorry. direct translation}
cod: 0
URL: http:\\oyunmemo.com
do you want to run with this error:
yes  no

I tried both yes and no. the page keeps coming.....

do you know anything about this error page?

I also have the spyware terminator toolbar now...

As I said I am really new and probably a headache for you now.... but really appriciate your help....

To DavidR:

I do not have a browser or a firewall... how do I get them???
my web home page is google and have avast 4 and now a spyware terminator toolbar....

really thank you for all your help...

waiting your posts....

sasin44

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 10:13:08 AM »
hi nweb ..
ur browser is "internet explorer"...IE
and u can do a boot time scan by right clicking on ur avast simple users interface..
trake a look at the pic

sasin44

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 10:14:23 AM »
and select boot time scan..in ur language..and it'll prompt u to restart..do it

sasin44

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 10:15:36 AM »
forgot to attach a pic

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 01:59:33 PM »
The boot-time scan isn't available for win9x or winME, an avast scan in Safe mode is all that is available for those Operating Systems.

Booting into safe mode http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml. Once in safe mode you can launch an avast scan by clicking on the avast icon on the desktop, or double clicking this file, "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashAvast.exe."

Firewall:
- There are many freeware firewalls such as, Comodo, PCTools Firewall Plus, Jetico, etc. - Zone Alarm free works fine with avast and has a reasonably friendly user interface, however, the free version is becoming bloated with trial ware and is also crippled as far as outbound protection goes In the Program Control, configuration area, the slider will only goes as far as Medium protection, if you want more you have to buy the Pro version.
See some firewall tests for comparison, some are freeware but many are paid for versions http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.php. Also see http://www.thefreecountry.com/security/firewalls.shtml
Also see http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/leak-tests-results.php later set of results

However, your major problem is finding one that is compatible with win98 as the greates majority don't support older OSes. See this google search, http://www.google.com/search?q=freeware+win98+firewall, however you need to do some research on the product before installation.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

newb

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 09:27:37 PM »
DavidR wrote:
The boot-time scan isn't available for win9x or winME, an avast scan in Safe mode is all that is available for those Operating Systems. :'(

Now I can understand why I do not have that option... thank you sasin44 for showing very detailed... I wish I had it....

now I did safe mode and run avast too...

and again when I type something on google another web page comes out...

on avast garantine summary these appears even I deleted them.....
command.com
kernel32.dll
wsock32.dll

are these the problem? how can I find what causes this?

thanks again so much..... 

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 09:49:51 PM »
and again when I type something on google another web page comes out...

command.com
kernel32.dll
wsock32.dll

These files are backup copies of system files. They should be in the system file section of the chest. They will also show up in "all chest files". Avast placed them there and will continue to replace them if you delete them from the chest. So no, they are not a problem.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 03:50:06 AM »
1. I could not do number 1.
System restore is not available in Win 98, sorry.

2. clean up has lots of options. which one should I pick?
You can skip this step also...

advanced windows care is only for vista. XP and 2000... mine is 98M  can I still use that?
No, forget it.

3. I am using avast in another language and can not find the skin to do the schedule boot scan... can I arrange that on the avast web site?
Any skin and language allows it... but not Win 98... Sorry.

AVG antispyware is also for vista XP and 2000
Sorry, skip.

command.com
kernel32.dll
wsock32.dll
They're backup and clean. Don't worry... Did avast show only these three files?

newb

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 09:15:17 PM »

yes only these 3 files....

so there is nothing I can do with win98????? :(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 03:56:19 AM »
I have a terrible problem... when I am online and searching for web sites some unknown pages appear on my screen.

so there is nothing I can do with win98????? :(

Yes you can.
If you still detecting strange behaviors or you want to be sure you're clean, maybe making a HijackThis log to post here and, specially, scan and submit to on-line analysis the RunScanner log would help to identify the problem and the solution.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 04:05:31 AM by Tech »

newb

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 05:48:38 PM »
Hi Tech

I was able to install hijack this and saw the log tried to save it could not... than now it says out of memory.... aggghhhhh  what can I do?

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 05:51:36 PM »
Copy paste the contents of the log here ?  :)