Author Topic: Zany-125-B virus??  (Read 2434 times)

iflasker

Zany-125-B virus??
« on: July 18, 2007, 08:18:34 PM »
I have two Os's on my machine, Xp-pro and Vista business, for some time now avast-pro gives my a virus detection in the pagefile.sys of the vista os, this only occurs when i do a manual scan in XP-pro. Before i removed this file trough the advanced options, I got warnings of other viruses like w32:.... trj. Now it says the pagefile.sys is infected by the Zany-125-B virus. The weird thing is when launch Vista, avast-pro doesn't detect any virus in the pagefile.sys, nor in the other scanned files and drives. Also after a google search i don't get much information on this virus. Does anyone has more information, and why do i get a warning in XP-pro and not in Vista? really weird...

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Zany-125-B virus??
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 08:28:16 PM »
Hi iflasker,

Probably a false positive. Ignore any detections in pagefile.sys when scanning from another OS.

Do a forum search for more info- I remember seeing other examples like this, the last one when scanning XP from Linux, if I remember correctly.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Zany-125-B virus??
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 08:30:42 PM »
This is most probably a false positive.

As a workaround, you can add these files to the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning) exclusion list.
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize. Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button... You can use wildcards like * and ?. But be carefull, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.

Hope Alwil team correct it soon.
The best things in life are free.