Author Topic: * Introducing * - beta version of upcoming avast update (now 4.7.1026)  (Read 29379 times)

Jem

Edit: Should I post this again re: the new version Wishlist? I guess this really a GUI bug though...
The wishlist is not for bugs (in theory).
It's good to post here. I hope they take a look on this one. Which is your monitor resolution?

See attached...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
It shouldn't be a problem.
If you click 'Advanced' button, can you check the font size you're using?
The best things in life are free.

Jem

It shouldn't be a problem.
If you click 'Advanced' button, can you check the font size you're using?

See attached. I use ClearType in IE - don't know whether that affects Windows generally, or if that makes any difference at all. Anyway, you can see everything I have set...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
See attached. I use ClearType in IE - don't know whether that affects Windows generally, or if that makes any difference at all. Anyway, you can see everything I have set...
The 96 dpi should be ok.
ClearType could be the problem here... can you uncheck it and boot?
The best things in life are free.

Jem

The 96 dpi should be ok.
ClearType could be the problem here... can you uncheck it and boot?

I unchecked 'Smooth edges of screen fonts' - made no difference. Bear in mind this only happens when this windows is accessed after receiving an infected mail (Outlook). The same window when accessed after an Explorer 'right click' scan is fine - with 'Smooth edges...' turned on. See attached...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 03:43:07 PM by Jem »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Strange indeed. I'm unable to reproduce this here - it works as expected (no bluring). I have ClearType and edge smoothing enabled... :-\
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Jem

Strange indeed. I'm unable to reproduce this here - it works as expected (no bluring). I have ClearType and edge smoothing enabled... :-\

Are you using Outlook 2003 to test? That's the only place I get the problem. I also get the same thing on my laptop  - again, in Outlook 2003 only, but it's a different graphics adaptor and resolution.

Apologies - correction, this does NOT happen on my laptop! Settings are the same re Cleartype etc, just a different graphics adaptor. The only difference between the two is that I had the Avast Pro trial installed on the desktop prior to 'dropping back' to Home, but I can´t imagine that anything left over from Pro in the registry would affect anything - clutching at straws here! I've installed the latest Nvidia drivers on my desktop this evening but that´s had no affect at all. Scratching my head thinking about anything else I might have 'tweaked' but can't think of anything - it was just the Menu speed in TweakUI that had upset the menu issue I had before - solved by 'Tech'. So, hmmm any other ideas? Why just Outlook...??
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 02:14:38 AM by Jem »

joooo

No problem found in the version 4.7.1026.
Some information on the release of the next version beta?
Thanks.

Jem

Are you using Outlook 2003 to test? That's the only place I get the problem. I also get the same thing on my laptop  - again, in Outlook 2003 only, but it's a different graphics adaptor and resolution.

Apologies - correction, this does NOT happen on my laptop! Settings are the same re Cleartype etc, just a different graphics adaptor. The only difference between the two is that I had the Avast Pro trial installed on the desktop prior to 'dropping back' to Home, but I can´t imagine that anything left over from Pro in the registry would affect anything - clutching at straws here! I've installed the latest Nvidia drivers on my desktop this evening but that´s had no affect at all. Scratching my head thinking about anything else I might have 'tweaked' but can't think of anything - it was just the Menu speed in TweakUI that had upset the menu issue I had before - solved by 'Tech'. So, hmmm any other ideas? Why just Outlook...??

I've solved (?) it!! If you notice from my screenshots, I have the Windows colour scheme set to silver rather than the default blue (Display Properties). I switched it back to Blue - and...no more blurred text on the Avast Delete message in Outlook! Bizarre!! So, hopefully you can now reproduce this by switching your colour scheme to Silver in XP...

However, this is clearly a small bug of some sort - it happens with all skins, and...changing my colour scheme in Windows shouldn't prevent an application from displaying it's messages correctly. A fix would be nice, but in the meantime...I'll live with Blue!!

Jem

I've solved (?) it!! If you notice from my screenshots, I have the Windows colour scheme set to silver rather than the default blue (Display Properties). I switched it back to Blue - and...no more blurred text on the Avast Delete message in Outlook! Bizarre!! So, hopefully you can now reproduce this by switching your colour scheme to Silver in XP...

However, this is clearly a small bug of some sort - it happens with all skins, and...changing my colour scheme in Windows shouldn't prevent an application from displaying it's messages correctly. A fix would be nice, but in the meantime...I'll live with Blue!!

Sorry for the BIG quote - just want to keep track of this. I have a workaround for me and maybe a pointer for Alwil as to where the colours are 'clashing' with the Silver colour scheme. The images are self explanatory, except to say that with the 'Blue' scheme the colours (light / dark) are inverted in this colour setting. By changing them around appropriately in the Silver scheme (inverting them in a similar way to the Blue scheme) the problem is solved! With this setting I now get 'perfectly formed' messages from the Avast in Outlook. You should offer me a job as a Product / Usability / Interface tester...  ;D

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
Really, you're right. I'm now able to simulate the problem here! [it really only happens with the Silver theme].

OK, let me see what we can do about that...

BTW the reason it does not happen in the Explorer Extension scan is that it only happens for DISABLED (grayed) items. In Outlook, the "to recycle bin" option is grayed.

Cheers
Vlk
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 02:27:14 PM by Vlk »

Jem

Really, you're right. I'm now able to simulate the problem here! [it really only happens with the Silver theme].

OK, let me see what we can do about that...

BTW the reason it does not happen in the Explorer Extension scan is that it only happens for DISABLED (grayed) items. In Outlook, the "to recycle bin" option is grayed.

Cheers
Vlk

Great, maybe you want to update the Beta with a fix when you have one - I'll download it and test here...

Cheers,
Jeremy

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
Hmm... I'm afraid this isn't going to be an easy fix. It is taking place deep inside the skinning engine. :-\

Jem

Hmm... I'm afraid this isn't going to be an easy fix. It is taking place deep inside the skinning engine. :-\

Ouch...sounds painful...!