Author Topic: Shield types & reboot problems  (Read 6749 times)

Zaphod

Shield types & reboot problems
« on: July 21, 2007, 01:34:15 AM »
Hi!
Been using avast home for years now and i was wondering is there a place with detailed information on the different shield types? Seems like some of them are complete waste of CPU cycles if you have a decent firewall installed. web shield & network shield & standard shield? those names really don't help much.
Thanks for a great program!

PS. Please fix the "allways reboot" problem or give some kind of tool to fix it.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 06:14:44 AM by Zaphod »

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: Shield types explained
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 01:43:51 AM »
Yes. the help file. Right click the "a" icon, click program setting and the help button.

Zaphod

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 01:59:22 AM »
Thanks. do i feel stupid now... Somebody please delete this thread.

Now if i just could get the reboot problem fixed.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 02:04:25 AM »
No need to feel stupid, you learned something.  ;D

'Fraid I can't help with the reboot situation.

edit to add

Welcome to the forum and you are welcome.

Did you try the search function near the top of the page? Search for " reboot problem" (with out the quote marks) returns many threads.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 02:08:46 AM by oldman »

Zaphod

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 02:17:59 AM »
I did, tried the solutions posted but none worked for me. uninstall & remove everything related to avast (that i could find) from registry. Install and still every boot time and when it goes to check for an update -> "avast needs to reboot" Minor annoyance but still  ::)  (i have xp pro sp2)

i guess i have to try regmon & filemon on avast and see what it looks for when it insists on reboot

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 02:32:37 AM »
You don't say exactly what you tried ?

If that still isn't the problem it could be a tweaking exercise that has an impact on avast.
- Also see 8,3 Tweak issue - Check out this thread and see if some of the possible solutions can help you too.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=28199.0
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Zaphod

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 02:49:56 AM »
changed the "NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation" to 0 and that seemed to do the trick. (will report back tomorrow) Just seems weird to have to chance system settings not related to avast.

microsoft says:

1 = NTFS does not create short file names. Although this setting increases file performance, applications that cannot process long file names and computers that use different code pages might not be able to find the files.

So i just did something to make my machine slower?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 02:53:55 AM by Zaphod »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 02:55:39 AM »
Just seems weird to have to chance system settings not related to avast.
So i just did something to make my machine slower?
1. avast uses that system setting to work.
2. It's a myth that the machine will be slower.
The best things in life are free.

Zaphod

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 03:00:59 AM »
OK. that was just a direct quote from microsoft.com. No reboot message now at startup, but i guess i know in a half an hour...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 03:04:38 AM by Zaphod »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Shield types & reboot problems
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 02:46:22 PM »
Quote from: Zaphod
No reboot message now at startup, but i guess i know in a half an hour...

I'm a little confused about the 'I will know in half an hour' comment, if it didn't happen on start-up it shouldn't happen later.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Zaphod

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 05:13:54 PM »
The minimum update time is 30 min so... But it works so thanks for help everybody.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 06:04:21 PM »
The minimum update time relates to the auto updates for the VPS and program checks and is unrelated to your previous problem.

The minimum is 30 minutes if you are using the Pro version, if using the home version that will be ignored. I can't recall if it is a minimum of 120 minutes for the home version, but the default of 240 minutes should be fine, that is what I have used for over three years with no issues.

Zaphod

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 03:26:48 AM »
It started again. i changed nothing just randomly get "requires a reboot". usually just after connecting to net but not always (or maybe there just have been ~18 updates this week)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 03:47:04 AM »
Check the "changed the "NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation" to 0" in case it has been reversed.

You should work through the previous suggestions given that you said you tried in reply #4.

But here they all are together:
Operating system restart needed by avast message - First check the contents of the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\setup.log file, which should show you why it thinks the reboot is needed.
This may be solved, in some systems, by deleting the file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\reboot.txt

If that doesn't resolve it check this:
You can also check this registry entry (right after computer restart):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager, if it contains "PendingFileRenameOpertaions".

Check its contents and if there's only "reboot.txt" from avast4\setup folder, delete PendingFileRenameOperations, don't delete any other key.
Back-up (export) the registry key before you edit/delete, just in case.

Zaphod

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2007, 06:39:33 PM »
"Check the "changed the "NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation" to 0" in case it has been reversed."

system restore is off in this computer, checked anyway its still 0.

"First check the contents of the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\setup.log file, which should show you why it thinks the reboot is needed."

Does not really tell much to me:

NeedReboot=false
vrb/sys  Reboot set by filRenameOnReboot(F:\xpapp\avast\Setup\reboot.txt,)
vrb/fil  MoveFileEx("F:\xpapp\avast\Setup\reboot.txt", NULL)
i wonder what that means.

"This may be solved, in some systems, by deleting the file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\reboot.txt"

Deleted the empty reboot.txt file (again)

the "PendingFileRenameOpertaions" key did not exist, will check again after a reboot.

Thanks for the help.