Author Topic: avast! On-Access Scanner blocking downloads?  (Read 18937 times)

philop901

Re: avast! On-Access Scanner blocking downloads?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 09:00:36 PM »
Hmmm... It is an Asus brand P5V800-MX. I think I will reformat it one last time and if the problem presist I will use a temporary anti-virus to replace it until I can find a solution.

I love avast! and have been using them on my laptops and computers I owned. Just bothered it causes problems on my new pc  :'(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2007, 03:47:28 AM »
I will use a temporary anti-virus to replace it until I can find a solution.
Before you do that, can you post more info?
Please, post the last 100-150 lines of avast log: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Setup.log
Any other security programs that could interfere?
Any useful information into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Events, specially 'Errors'.
The best things in life are free.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2007, 03:52:34 AM »
I've got an Asus mobo on this machine. It has a trend micro scanner which can be turned off. Turned on it, disables my video drivers. Perhaps something along those lines.....? Check the bios, possibly the security section.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2007, 04:05:17 AM »
It has a trend micro scanner which can be turned off.
Disabling is not enough. Uninstall it completely before install avast from the scratch.
(if you're using the on-line scanning of trend micro, then it won't be a problem).

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2007, 04:49:49 AM »
Tech, I think you may have misunderstood me. I don't have a problem. The trend micro runs from bios on bootup. Only when enabled it causes a problem. I once accidently exited bios with the wrong key (restore defaults), this is how I discovered that it would disable the video drivers.

I posted this because just maybe philop has a similar bios based scanner that may be messing with avast at bootup.

philop901

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2007, 09:21:48 AM »
Hmmm... I am reformatting my pc again but I will post the setup.log once I get it up and running. If the problem crops up again.  :-\

About the Asus bios. My motherboard does not have that trend micro feature. It only has the "Q-FAN" and "Bios crash free 2" feature  :)

philop901

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2007, 12:39:05 PM »
Here is the Setup.log file you requested.

The problem seems to presist even after a clean reformat  :(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2007, 02:19:35 PM »
01.09.2007   18:24:04.000   1188642244   general   License key generated Demo
01.09.2007   18:28:09.000   1188642489   general   Return code: 0x20000001 [Nothing done]
Everything seems ok in your log... but, haven't you register the Home version yet?
Did you insert the key correctly?
You can't use the trial version for more than 60 days, not install it twice (or more) and use it more than 6 days.

philop901

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2007, 02:32:36 PM »
Ah, inserted the key already and its registered. The problem still exist though.

hmmm, I was thinking... Is there a way to download an older version of avast? Lets say... version 4.7.1001. Just to check whether it might be the changes in the latest version thats causing the problem.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2007, 02:39:06 PM »
The problem still exist though.
Can you describe it a little more?
Which files are you trying to download... from where...

hmmm, I was thinking... Is there a way to download an older version of avast? Lets say... version 4.7.1001. Just to check whether it might be the changes in the latest version thats causing the problem.
It's not a good policy. The last version always has improvements and a security program must be always updated.
Anyway, http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/

philop901

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2007, 02:49:37 PM »
Ok here goes....

The problem usually occurs when I am watching streaming videos through an internet explorer or Opera. It does not matter whether it is youtube, crunchy roll, etc. The streaming videos would just stop halfway or not load at all.

The other problem is when I am downloading files from the internet. It happens to any site I choose to download the files. I tried download.com, divx.com, openoffice.org, any site would cause a problem. Surprisingly, the problem does not occur when I downloading stuff from a bittorrent application or receiving files from Msn messenger.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2007, 04:03:42 PM »
The other problem is when I am downloading files from the internet. It happens to any site I choose to download the files. I tried download.com, divx.com, openoffice.org, any site would cause a problem.
Please, try to disable WebShield (only) and see what you get.

philop901

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2007, 05:30:48 PM »
Still doesn't work. I have to disable (terminate) both internet mail and webshield then it works. I have a really wierd problem. I am even puzzled on how the internet mail module and the webshield module disabled at the same time can cause the internet to function properly again. I wonder whether there's anyway to show or produce the problem so you guys can see and be baffled too.

The old avast version doesn't work. I couldn't even uninstall it properly.

I came across a website which I might be downloading the tool and see whether it will work. It's a LSP-fix tool.

http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2007, 05:36:12 PM »
I am even puzzled on how the internet mail module and the webshield module disabled at the same time can cause the internet to function properly again.
This is generally associated with firewall blocking. Are you only using Windows Firewall?

philop901

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2007, 05:42:39 PM »
nope, I disabled windows firewall and using ZoneAlarm Free. I can try disabling ZoneAlarm again because I have done it once before and it did not work.

Just a thought... might the hardware firewall on my router be the cause of the problem? But then again, I have other laptops which are running through the network on the same router and they are all fine with avast installed.