Author Topic: Web Shield on XP not scanning.  (Read 8667 times)

loltestlol

Web Shield on XP not scanning.
« on: July 24, 2007, 10:16:01 AM »
im running windows xp and my webshield on avast home edition says "0 files scanned". shouldnt it be scanning things while im using my browser? im using firefox. the ashwebsrv.exe process is running. only other things im using is peerguardian2 and CFP. no proxy. thanks!  ;D

Offline Snagglegrain

Re: Web Shield on XP not scanning.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 11:31:43 AM »
I have the same condition, but browser is IE. 

I have avast! 4.7 Home Edition running on two computers, each with essentially the same software installed. The scanned count is 0 on one computer, and over 4000 on the other.

The one with the scanned count of zero is listed as having the provider currently running, and the run time is running.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 04:16:28 PM »
@ loltestlol
Try setting  the Customize, Web Scanning Tab that you have Scan 'all' files ticked, the firefox browser cache works differently in that the files in the cache don't have file extensions. Either that or set the Web Shield sensitivity to High.

@ Snagglegrain
You don't mention what operating systems IE is running under, nor do you mention what firewall you are using, both of which can have an effect.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Snagglegrain

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 06:05:25 PM »
**My apologies to loltestlol if I have hijacked the thread.  I only intended to piggyback on the original topic.**

@ Snagglegrain
You don't mention what operating systems IE is running under, nor do you mention what firewall you are using, both of which can have an effect.

Sorry for leaving that out.  WinXP Home Edition and ZAP v7.0.337.000.

The thing that has me puzzled is that the computers are both configured the same way, yet the Web Shield scan count stays at zero on one machine while functioning properly on the other.

And now, instead of getting clearer, the picture grows fuzzier, because I just manually configured the Web Shield HTTP proxy on the computer that was not showing a scan count, and now it is working properly!

So I use a proxy server for my LAN on one computer but not on the other.

Does this make sense?

And also, on the machine where I am using a proxy server, should I check the box that says, "Bypass proxy server for local addresses"?

I have in the past tried uninstalling and reinstalling avast, but that did not alter the Web Shield scan count issue.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 07:27:32 PM »
They may appear to be configured the same way, but the key here is the ZA Pro, you will have received a compatibility alert which depending on your answer (Should be Yes), you then have to manually set your browser/s to use the avast Web Shield proxy.

If you are using ZoneAlarm Pro and Privacy Control in ZoneAlarm is set to High and if you click YES in avast compatibility dialogue box the transparent mode proxy in web shield will be turned off you have to manually configure browser to access internet. To manually configure your browser watch instructional video

For IE - broadband users: - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE
For IE - dialup users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE (Dial-up)
For Firefox users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for Firefox

Uninstalling and reinstalling will have no effect as the same condition will be present because of the compatibility issue with ZAP Privacy function, if you answer YES the web shield transparent proxy will be disabled and you need to manually set your browser to use it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Snagglegrain

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 07:43:29 PM »
Given what information I have provided, what would you suggest I do at this time?

I confess to being somewhat stumped by this particular process, and will look forward to your recommendations.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 07:52:41 PM »
I'm stumped as the information given doesn't suggest what you did or what answer you gave. You didn't say what answer you gave YES or NO ?
You didn't say if you manually set-up your browser to use the web shield proxy ?

Well I'm not stumped really, just trying to get you thinking. 'what information you gave.' First choice is to check your browser has it been set to use the web shield proxy, if not set it up the same as you have obviously done as that one works. But then again I don't know what answer you gave for that installation either.

Offline Snagglegrain

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 08:10:30 PM »
Sorry if I am not making myself clear.

Two posts back I stated, in order of sequence,

"the computers are both configured the same way, yet the Web Shield scan count stays at zero on one machine while functioning properly on the other",

then,

"I just manually configured the Web Shield HTTP proxy on the computer that was not showing a scan count, and now it is working properly!",

then,

"So I use a proxy server for my LAN on one computer but not on the other".

Clear as mud?  :)

Gotta log off for a bit, but back later.

Thank you.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 08:38:53 PM »
They can't be configured the same way as one works and the other doesn't, that is also a general description.

I don't know which is having the problem, the one using the LAN proxy or the other ?
Or if you have the same settings in the Web Shield (see image), which is mine, which has the transparent web shield proxy enabled.

I asked a detailed question about the answer to the compatibility setting I still don't know the answer and it is probably the most important one, I assume you have set both browsers to use the web shield proxy. Now I

"I just manually configured the Web Shield HTTP proxy on the computer that was not showing a scan count, and now it is working properly!",
Which is required if the transparent proxy is disabled (answering YES to the compatibility question), so are both now working as I have to admit to being totally confused.

Lets not forget I don't work for Alwil software but am an avast user just like you.

JWill

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 08:52:15 PM »
I'm new to Avast, using the free version, along with Vista Home premium and K-Meleon for my web browser, no firewall, behind a router.
The web shield shows 0 for me also, now will this have anything to do with my browser, although it uses the same engine as Mozilla FF (Gecko)?
The scanned files will work under IE with no problem but nothing happens while using K-Meleon.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 09:36:09 PM »
K-Meleon may not be on the avast supported browsers.

You can edit the avast4.ini file, [WebScanner] section and add the following line OptinProcess=ExecutableFileName.exe to optin the browsers executable file.

[WebScanner]
OptinProcess=ExecutableFileName.exe

Offline Snagglegrain

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 10:18:57 PM »
They can't be configured the same way as one works and the other doesn't, that is also a general description.

Well, depending upon one's definition of configured, I'd have to stick with my story... that I had LAN settings configured the same way, which was to automatically detect settings and not use a proxy server, and when they were set that way (both computer LAN settings the same), one scan counter worked and one didn't. 

I asked a detailed question about the answer to the compatibility setting I still don't know the answer and it is probably the most important one

I can not recall how I responded during install to avast's compatability question.  I found the instructions confusing, and to the best of my recollection, I finally settled on the choice that pertained to NOT having an issue with ZAP's Privacy settings, since I have been operating with them OFF.

Let me ask you this... don't my current LAN configurations answer that question?

so are both now working as I have to admit to being totally confused.

When I posted here asking for help, one worked, one didn't.  At that time, LAN settings were configured the same way, which was to automatically detect settings and not use a proxy server.

Then I changed the configuration on the one that did not work to use a proxy server.  That made it work.

So I then had two machines on the LAN configured differently, but both now showing scan counts.

If I remove the proxy server and configure LAN settings to automatically detect settings (meaning if I return the settings to the way they were when I first posted about my trouble), the scan counter stops working.

Which means both machines are configured the same way and one scan counter works and one does not. 

Lets not forget I don't work for Alwil software but am an avast user just like you.

Not sure why you brought that up, unless you think I am not appreciative.  Every one of my replies to you has been polite.

Maybe we are talking past each other here, or more than likely, me being the new avast user, I am missing something relevant and simple.  But I must reiterate that both computer LAN settings are the same and one scan counter works and one doesn't.

Thanks again for your patience and help.

loltestlol

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 11:24:06 PM »
i still have the problem. i have "scan all files on".

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 01:41:46 AM »
@ loltestlol
Did you try increasing the sensitivity to High ?

@ Snagglegrain
I'm totally lost, I haven't got a clue what the settings are for both of your systems.

So as I see it you have two choices if everything is working leave things as they are. Or you can opt to do a clean reinstall of avast on both systems, answer Yes when the compatibility question is asked and manually set both browsers to use the avast browser. I can't advise re your LAN settings I don't use one.

Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/programs.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.

Now uninstall, reboot, run the uninstall utility, reboot, install the latest version (answer YES to compatibility question), reboot. Manually set your browser to use the web shield proxy.

- WEB SHIELD ISSUES - ZONE ALARM
http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html

loltestlol

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 04:11:43 AM »
yes, i set it to high and still no scans..  :'(