Author Topic: Outpost blocking Avast Home Updates...  (Read 2317 times)

Si Sancho

Outpost blocking Avast Home Updates...
« on: July 24, 2007, 05:13:28 PM »
Greetings, I have tried numerous things (within Outpost) to get Outpost firewall to not block Avast VDB updates. I'm sure someone has had this experience previously perhaps they wouldn't mind sharing their solution(s)?  Thanking you in advance!  -Si

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Outpost blocking Avast Home Updates...
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 05:21:37 PM »
Ensure that avast.setup is allowed internet access, check that it isn't blocked.

Options, Applications, Blocked Applications, if so allow it or probably better delete the entry and do a manual iAVS update, this will force Outpost to ask permission again, allow it, see image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Si Sancho

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 05:46:17 PM »
David, Thank you for the suggestion. I've not done it exactly that way although I have manually added Avast exe's to the "trusted applications" list without success. I think it may have something to do with the avast.setup file, which not being an exe can't be added to the Outpost TA list. However, I did go into the Anti-Leak and add it to the "exceptions" list and give it permission, which didn't seem to work either. I will give your suggestion a spin and come back tomorrow with my results. Muchos Gracias! -Si

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 07:21:12 PM »
You will have to do it the way suggested as the avast.setup file which requires permission isn't a permanent file (which is why I gave the means of adding it), it is created in order to carry out the update from the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\setup.ovr file and would when created be in the same folder.

So it may be possible to add it manually C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup, personally it is much easier to do it as I mentioned before.

The anti-leak function will be of zero help as that is something else again and 'won't' bypass the outbound permissions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 04:01:42 AM »
Just to let you know...
Into the firewall settings, the following programs should be allowed to connect:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup (avast! Update executable). This is a temporary file that just appears when an update (check) is about to launch, and disappears again afterwards.

Don't need rights to connect:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service)
The best things in life are free.