Author Topic: Boot Scan keyboard problem  (Read 2855 times)

Zak

Boot Scan keyboard problem
« on: July 24, 2007, 11:36:32 AM »
Hi, I seem to have a few virus's and things that I can't get rid of because they come back when I delete them so I'm assuming another virus is making them, I don't know.

But when i go into boot scan it scans then when it finds something, it will ask me to press a number for an action, but when i press any nothing happens so i can not get past the first virus it finds.

I'm running Windows XP Sp1

Thanks.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Boot Scan keyboard problem
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 01:17:40 PM »
Hi Zak,

I'm assuming you have a wireless keyboard which won't work during the boot scan because the drivers aren't loaded.

You can either change the bios settings so that the keyboard works during the scan, or change the scan settings so that malware found is sent to the chest (quarantine) without requiring any key press from you.

You can find more info on the bios option by doing a forum search.

Here are some more scanning options to try as well:

Look for and remove rootkits (hidden malware):

Panda Antirootkit
Blacklight
AVG Anti-Rootkit

Try a scan with DrWeb CureIT!

Try the usual free adware/spyware scanners.

AVG Anti-Spyware Free (Requires Win2k/XP)
Ad-Aware Free
Spybot Search & Destroy
SUPERAntiSpyware Free
a-Squared Free

Download, install and update all the programs. Disconnect from the internet (pull the plug) before running scans in Safe Mode if possible.

Always select the option to quarantine any malware found rather than delete it, then you will be able to restore files or registry entries wrongly identified as malware- a rare but not unknown event for any malware scanner.

Try some online scans. (Disable avast! while scanning.)

F-Secure
BitDefender
Panda
Trend Micro Housecall

If still having problems, post a HijackThis! log.

When you have finished, scan for out-of-date and insecure software using Secunia Software Inspector and update any vulnerable software: this will help to prevent future infections.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Zak

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 01:56:39 PM »
Thanks for the reply I'v found it in advanced options for boot scan. I'll go see if it works now. :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 04:35:02 AM »
Hi, I seem to have a few virus's and things that I can't get rid of because they come back when I delete them so I'm assuming another virus is making them, I don't know.
If a virus is replicant (coming and coming again), you could follow the general cleaning procedure:

1. Disable System Restore on Windows ME or Windows XP. System Restore cannot be disabled on Windows 9x and it's not available in Windows 2k. After boot you can enable System Restore again after step 3.

2. Clean your temporary files. You can use CleanUp or the Windows Advanced Care features for that.

3. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast. Start avast! > Right click the skin > Schedule a boot-time scanning. Select for scanning archives. Boot. Other option is scanning in SafeMode (repeatedly press F8 while booting).

4. It will be good if you download, install, update and run AVG Antispyware. Some users recommend SUPERantispyware, Spyware Terminator and/or a-squared (take care about false positives).
If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.

5. If you still detecting any strange behavior or even you're sure you're not clean, maybe it will be good to test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest AVG, Panda and/or F-Secure BlackLight.

6. Also, if you still detecting strange behaviors or you want to be sure you're clean, maybe making a HijackThis log to post here and, specially, scan and submit to on-line analysis the RunScanner log would help to identify the problem and the solution.

7. After you're clean, use the immunization of SpywareBlaster or, which is better, the Windows Advanced Care features of spyware/adware cleaning and removal.

8. Finally, when you're clean, check for insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector to update insecure applications and avoid reinfection.
The best things in life are free.