Author Topic: 3 System files in the chest  (Read 4642 times)

PainterMan

3 System files in the chest
« on: January 09, 2008, 12:02:15 PM »
Hallo avast forum.
 :)

I´ve got 3 system files in the Chest. kernell 32.dll wsock32.dll and one more, who I do not remember the name of, and I sit with another PC on my work, so I can´t look.

I suppose I shall do nothing, or what?
- Not delay or restore ...

P.S
How do you put Avatar on?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: 3 System files in the chest
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 12:54:03 PM »
I´ve got 3 system files in the Chest. kernell 32.dll wsock32.dll and one more, who I do not remember the name of, and I sit with another PC on my work, so I can´t look.
You will notice the avast chest is in three sections:

1. Infected Files, speaks for itself, any files detected by avast that you chose Move to Chest as the action.

2. System files, back-up copies of important system files. There are (generally) files in the System Folder of the Chest: command.com, kernel 32.dll and wsock32.dll. During the installation, avast! copies some critical system files into the Chest, under the "System files" category. Those files might cause the operating system to crash if they get infected by a virus. If needed, those files can be restored from the Chest to their original location. Should an unknown virus infect the computer despite the extensive protection from the avast! antivirus package and alter an important system file, it can then be easily restored to its original state. These are your files, backup ones.

3. User Files, an area for the user to import suspicious files that haven't been detected so they can do no harm and can be sent by email to Alwil for further analysis.

How do you put Avatar on?
Click in your Profile button and upload or choose a picture ;)
The best things in life are free.