Author Topic: WARNING!!! SPYWARE TERMINATOR!!!  (Read 49045 times)

rdmaloyjr

Re: WARNING!!! SPYWARE TERMINATOR!!!
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2007, 11:46:55 PM »
Spyware Terminator has fixed this bad false positive.  It was in the 2.0 version which is a beta.

I haven't had any problem, I'm using 1.9.3.142.

I'm staying with Spyware Terminator!

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2007, 12:16:55 AM »
Howdy rdmaloyjr,

Do as you please, I am still with a-squared on my comp, after they blundered with some FP's, but because I had installed the proggies myself, and knew that they were legit, I did not have any problem. Why all these programs, also Ad-aware 2007 with their updater for instance have so many "temporal" problems? Are those responsible for it falling asleep or just sloppy? Better the folks of ClamWin and COMODO BoCleaner running silently there, updates regularly like clockwork, no problems, so these hick-ups need not be.
But I think for newbies this can be just enough to diminish their trust in such a program.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2007, 12:43:42 AM »
Polonus,

From what I read in ST forums, the fp was in the 2.0 beta.  All should beware of all and any beta software.  Newbies should especially beware of betas.

I'm not going to abandon any program on account of one fp or other problem.

I did abandon Ad-Aware SE because it never found anything but false positives.  I did remove A-Squared
for lots of fp's.  I use AVG AS free & SAS free, so I don't need AA or A2 anyway.

Spyware Terminator does an excellent job on my computer!  When I had Windows Defender, AVG AS & SAS would sometimes find infections, but switching to ST, AVG AS & SAS don't find anything.

Given the results on my system, I think you can understand why I want to stay with ST.

gdiloren

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2007, 03:56:58 AM »
I initially started this thread. My Spyware Terminator was the regular one, not beta. Now, from what I understand we have to pay A PRICE for the better 100% protection of our security softwares. It's the false positive. Take it or leave it. Me I was good with Avast thinking of 100% detection: the truth lies between 75-77%. But we have rarely false positive with Avast. I never had it. Just want to let you know though AVIRA just detected SASENUM.SYS in my C:/PROGRAM FILES/SUPERANTISPWYWARE. It is RISKWARE SPR/SUPERANTISPW.8. Thanks to DAVID, I checked it on VIRUS TOTAL and only two antivirus of a dozen list or more detects it as malware. It is now in quarantine. So for me, SuperAntispyware and Spyware Terminator, for what they are worth, bear riskwares hard to detect. I'm keeping SuperAntispyware on this PC with the infected file in quarantine but it never finds anything than cookies and traces. Is it worth it? I had a better experience with Adaware and at least it does the job even though I admit it has also some flaws (updating process).
Thanks. :-\

lurkingatu2

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2007, 05:29:31 AM »
in over 2 years i have not had malware or a virus on this pc but i'v had avria antivir pe classic find things that thay say are real  :o like thay found something in the pandas online scanner so i uninstalled it and antivir stoped finding it thay also found something in bitdefenders online scanner and i uninstalled it and antivir stoped finding it also thay found something in a cleanup tool i was using and i uninstalled it  :) it was like i was running out of second opinion tools to use  :) the other one i have found alot of f/p's with is a-squard free  :) and i have learned after reading these security fourms and using security tool's is that thay all can have a f/p that can mess up a pc so i'v learned and do as DavidR say's quarantine and research before you delete or just let it go back and use the info to research you can always scan again and quarantine then  :)   

drhayden1

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2007, 10:15:04 AM »
got a reply from the quality tech support after i emailed them and told of their problem and i got the usual form of we are sorry but ::) :o
ANSWER (7/26/2007 10:33:58 pm):
Hello,
We are sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with Spyware Terminator. We welcome all constructive comments received from our users so that we can consider them for improving our service.
At Spyware Terminator, the satisfaction of our users is our #1 priority. We are constantly developing new features and improvements to enhance our users' experience with Spyware Terminator. We work hard to deliver the best service to our valued users and hope that you will consider using Spyware Terminator again soon.
Sincerely,

Your Spyware Terminator Support Team

for you spyware terminator and tech support ;)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 11:46:26 AM by drhayden1 »

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2007, 05:11:46 PM »
To all users of Spyware Terminator:

I ADVISE YOU TO GET RID OF THE PROGRAMME BECAUSE IT IS A "HEAVY LIAR"!

The reasons of my advice

I have (had  :-X ) version 2.0 and used it only for on-demand scanning. Having read all the posts above, I decided to check my copy of ST. I opened Windows Control Panel and saw that ST "took" more than 2Gb(sic!) of my HDD's space.

Then I should mention that I usually uninstall software not from the Control Panel, but with the help of Your Uninstaller 2006. This programme (if you don't know yet) implements 3-step uninstallation process: at step 1 it launches the uninstaller of an unwanted programme; at step 2 it checks the leftovers in the registry; at step 3 it checks the installation folders. After steps 2 and 3 it presents two lists: the unnecessary registry keys and the leftover files. God save YU and this its feature!

I saw long lists of registry keys and unnecessary sub-folders and files from... "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared"! The list of files was very suspicious - I opened the folder in a separate window. My dear! ST declared to Windows that ALL THE SUB-FOLDERS AND FILES belonged to it (ST) and wanted them to be deleted during the uninstallation. If I had continued, I would have lost more than 200Mb of the files that were installed by other programmes. I canceled YU and deleted ST through the Control Panel (I have never heard or saw any complaints about that way of ST's uninstallation).

My conclusion

A programme, that lies to the operation system about its real size, about the list of its files and registry keys, and is capable to destroy the system, can't be trustworthy and is very dangerous.

PS: And what freeware or open source can I use now? I need a freeware (no shareware or trialware) anti-malware programme (to scan and to protect) with multilingual interface - though I am good at English, I'd like one with the Russian language.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 05:33:57 PM by George Yves »
May the FOSS be with you!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2007, 06:23:15 PM »
I honestly can't believe the mass hysteria about this program, if you don't like it just uninstall it.

I had it installed for a short time and I didn't like the interface and a number of the options which didn't have a full explanation of what they did, so it was history on my system after just over a week I think.

However, it never took up 2GB of my HDD space (not ST version 2 beta) and something you have to learn, the MS Shared files my well be 'used' by ST that doesn't meant they were created by ST. The 1.9.3.145 is a 10.4MB download and with the best compression in the world would be hard pressed to unpack to 2GB.

If you look at control panel, add remove programs, check the details for a common application, avast, and you will see Used rarely now that is a joke as it has been running on boot in different versions for over three years. So some reporting functions themselves are flawed. Another application of mine, my firewall Outpost is also shown as Used rarely and even more interestingly Last used on 26/9/2005, so never take one source as gospel.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gdiloren

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2007, 06:37:24 PM »
Thanks Georges-Yves. I definitevely removed ST from my "at work" location ("oufff!") and followed your instructions about the ADD REMOVE PROGRAM. I had to a more than 2GB consumption and now my system is free of this malicious program. My Pc is now running smoother! :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2007, 07:14:07 PM »
I honestly can't believe the mass hysteria about this program, if you don't like it just uninstall it.
I feel the same.
The best things in life are free.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2007, 07:42:04 PM »
Spyware Terminator never brought anything good to my system. I can't recall exactly, but I do remember it started messing with some system files and I got rid of it immediately. To play on a safe side, I restored my system backup image I created few days ago, so not a single trace of this utility has left inside. Running my system without it, and not having a single problem. There are some really good tools out there that can help getting rid of spyware, so really no need of having this tool installed. Of course, that's MHO.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

drhayden1

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2007, 08:13:21 PM »
it's been uninstalled for a long time...just didn't like their tech support telling me the problem was with my os not their crapware ??? ::)
my semi-hysteria and posting on the matter is done :)

gdiloren

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2007, 08:18:04 PM »
Some people wants to be moderator and they are free to do so. May I recall I was the first to get this Trojan Phoney winlogon affair back on tuesday and there was no data yet on the web on what to do with it. Plus the surprise, inexperience of newbies:that's why I'm proud I posted here this thread because I know many Avast users (free program) use ST too (other free program). That's not hysteria, I feel I don't have to format or reinstall an image because of Spyware Terminator especially learning that even their quarantine feature with that Trojan wasn't working so well! Now, of course, every body is free to keep and run whatever they want.  But having read a thread like this a year ago, and with the knowledge of unwanted features (Crawler toolbar, etc..) I would never have installed Spyware Terminator on any computer at all... :-X

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2007, 09:09:05 PM »
Nothing to do with wanting to moderate anything, simply my take on the matter, yes ST screwed you but you compounded the matter. Then you created another topic along the same lines for SuperAntiSpyware only to find that it was avira with a false positive.

I still maintain you wouldn't have suffered in the way you did had you fully investigated 'both' of these WARNING topics. That is my personal opinion not one of a wannabe moderator.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Rafel

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2007, 09:16:52 PM »
Am i the only one have no prblems with ST. It runs fine and smoothly in my system. I don't know, i don't know..
I had problems with Webroot Spysweeper incompabilities and i did not thought SS was a crappy program, they solved the problems.
I donwnloaded ST alone, without Crawler bar, where do you download your programs? You can choose, ST alone or ST with crawler bar and something else.
I don't know.
Security programs are no a toy, You must learn to use them, and when your AV o SP find a "possible infection" before delete or quarantine the file you must search and read, there a lot of security forums.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 09:18:45 PM by Rafel »