Author Topic: Problems with mailscanner function  (Read 6293 times)

Jon

Problems with mailscanner function
« on: February 27, 2004, 01:49:54 PM »
Hi - I was trying to blend in on the 'email & tiscali'-thead but the answers seemed to only for tiscali users ;) - so here I am making my own thread.

After setting back my options to the way it was in the beginning, when it worked, but where as mails wasn't scanned ...

1. I use the Mail Protection Wizard and set it to automatically protect my emails.

2. Then I test it - but it doesn't work.

3. I've tried setting it up manually but with no luck although I do it exact as the help-file tells me to.

4. The last thing I've come across is that when trying to check for email, the file ashMaiSv.exe never tries to make a connection. It's not even trying and getting blocked, it just does nothing. I thought the might be the problem I just don't know how to solve it. As I run the Wizard described above, a shortcut to the ashMaiSv.exe is made for the file to start when the machine boots, and does, and is thereby running all the time.

Any suggestion on the ashMaiSv.exe file - why it doesn't connect to my POP3/SMTP server?

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Problems with mailscanner function
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2004, 04:21:58 PM »
You can look to the file aswMaiSv.log in folder Avast4\DATA\log for error messages, this file is generated by the mail scanner - ashMaiSv.exe.

Jon

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2004, 04:45:06 PM »
Hmm... doesn't say anything about errors, just that it's loaded.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2004, 04:48:46 PM »
The file ashMaiSv.exe never tries to make a connection. It's not even trying and getting blocked, it just does nothing.

Did you allow the application to connect the Internet, I mean, at your firewall?
The best things in life are free.

Jon

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004, 04:50:59 PM »
I'm about to just let it go 'cause it's becoming very annoying. ???

Want to know then - if I recieve an email with an attachment that contains a virus wont I be warned when/if I open the file? - I mean this antivirus program seems to be very throughly with everything I 'touch'.

Jon

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2004, 07:01:12 PM »
Did you allow the application to connect the Internet, I mean, at your firewall?

:) - yes of course. I've even tried with my firewall disabled - no change.

Jon

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2004, 10:59:40 PM »
This is great - it seems to be working now. The things I've changed is only this:

I've stopped using Hotmail Popper (http://www.boolean.ca/hotpop/) so now I only use my regular account in OE.

/Jon

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2004, 02:03:30 AM »
This is great - it seems to be working now. The things I've changed is only this:

I've stopped using Hotmail Popper (http://www.boolean.ca/hotpop/) so now I only use my regular account in OE.

/Jon

Could be a port conflict problem? I do not use Hotmail Popper but, if it really download the emails and not only warn that there is a 'new' message for you, so I think there is a posibility of a port conflict (two applications trying to access the same port at the same time...).  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Jon

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2004, 07:04:57 PM »
Yeah - I don't know - I just know it works now ....

I'll check my hotmail another way :).

Thanx for trying to help anyway ;)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2004, 07:16:38 PM »
Hm what else did you block? Write all blocked applications.
If you block applications like svchost.exe and some other connection services than some types of connections might fail.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Jon

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2004, 12:15:49 PM »
Well, it worked great before I installed avast! and svchost.exe has access to the internet as it should.

I really believe the issue was the Hotmail Popper 'cause I've had no problems with avast! since I removed Hotmail Popper, and must admit I can easily check my hotmail through messenger, so it's absolutely no problem.

:)