Author Topic: hotmail inbox  (Read 66121 times)

therugbycoach

Re: hotmail inbox
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 08:44:22 AM »
seems its just started after the latest update as it was all working ok earlier

i just started getting it  with a worm warning + VBS:Malware [Script]

so unless hotmail is sending worms to everyone i gess its  somthing wrong with the latest update  ive run a few other scans and nothing has shown up and my firewall hasnt done anything and thats quite sensitive.. and we have another comp with a different AV which isnt giving warnings ??? ???

NSlinn

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 09:22:27 AM »
I too have had that worm warning + VBS:Malware [Script]. i can go into my hotmail but not to the inbox box page without it popping up and giving me the only option to abort or if im lucky to put it in the chest. i can go into my junk mail and trash but not on the inbox page. i have ran different scans and it comes up as clear.
I also went on my laptop which doesnt have Avast on it right now and i was able to go to my inbox..... ??? ???
I can also send emails but have not just thought i would see if it would work.
so just trying to be patient and reading any helpful ideas or comments.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 10:26:28 AM »
there is no virus on this Hotmail page ... it is a flaw in the VPS update.

inspades

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 10:30:13 AM »
I am part of the club.

Is every single Avast user who tries to access their hotmail account receiving this false positive?

Are we 100% it is false postive. 

Has someone from Avast addressed this in any of the threads?

IS
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 10:36:09 AM by inspades »

ve3sjk

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2007, 10:48:29 AM »
I would like to see confirmation of false positve also because i had the first call on this at 2400 EDT for this alert, i got a second an hour later. I had been accessing my own hotmail accounts since the first call and was NOT getting this alert. In the last hour or so, one of my account started given the alert while the other has not done it yet. I would think a false positve would be there for all accounts, why the almost 3 hours before one of my accounts which was not giving the alert then started giving the alert. One account remains un-effected. On all systems that where effected avast puts multiple files into the chest shown as infected. The inbox button in hotmail caused the error when an html file is placed in the temparary internet files folder.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2007, 10:54:51 AM »
Read my post two above yours ... it only affects those account not converted to Hotmail Live.

I have already reported in the other forum that I can revert my system back to one minute prior to the last avast VPS update and the problem goes completely away. 

The problem stems from the instant of the VPS 761-0 update.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2007, 11:37:42 AM »
Confirming that VPS 761-1 has corrected the Hotmail retrieval problem in IE, Firefox and with the Thunderbird mail client

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2007, 03:40:09 PM »
Just got this email back from Alwil:

please update avast's VPS database, this false positive detection has
been fixed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dec4MMV

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2007, 08:10:45 PM »
Thanks to ALANRF.  I had indeed gone to sleep last night and missed your question, which of course you'd already figured out the answer to.

I appreciate your help very much.

jiffy1

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2007, 12:21:18 PM »
Thank goodness this is over. Thanks again for everyone's kind support and help. Take care.

MeDIeVaL

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2007, 12:59:25 PM »
I am part of the club.

Is every single Avast user who tries to access their hotmail account receiving this false positive?

Are we 100% it is false postive. 

Has someone from Avast addressed this in any of the threads?

IS

Nope, not e'one. I don't have this kind of problem. As alanrf said earlier, <br>
The only differences occurring here are the differing server bay names of the Hotmail system. Only a certain number of users are assigned to each server bay in Hotmail.

MeDIeVaL

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2007, 01:19:22 PM »
To those who recieved this kind of alerts, are you lives in same region? To Alwil teams, is there any possibility hotmail server bay has been infected so avast! pick up the virus whenever user login to their acc...?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2007, 02:46:48 AM »
For one last time ....

There never was any infection on the Hotmail servers

The problem only affected users with free Hotmail/MSN accounts that had not been converted to Hotmail Live

The problem was caused by the avast signature update 760-0

The problem was corrected by the avast signature update 760-1

The avast team accept that this was an avast problem.

--The End--

thcri

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2007, 07:01:59 PM »
I did the temporary fix a long time ago and then forgot about it.  I can't find the webshield any more do undo what I did.  I have udated my software so did this fix it automactically or do I need to go and get the "http:by*" out of there someplace yet?

murph

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2007, 07:16:25 PM »
Web Shield, Customize, Exceptions, URLs to exclude, find the one you added and remove it, see image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security