Author Topic: Pretty screwed...  (Read 10320 times)

Evert A

Pretty screwed...
« on: February 27, 2004, 02:59:59 PM »
During the boot virus check of Avast!, i chose to move all infected files, the problem is, i did the same with windows files. They were almost all infected with win32:Parite virus and Avast couldnt remove them. Now i cant start any .exe files anymore, probably because a necessary windows file is missing, how can i move everything back where it had been? Im talking about 800+ files, so manually placing them back would take ages :-\

PLEASE HELP ME

whocares

Re:Pretty screwed...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2004, 03:09:33 PM »
Hi,

what WIN do you have ?
WHERE did you move the files ?

to the chest, or somewhere else ?
from the chest, you could easily restore them (if necessary REPAIR avast first in SAFEMODE),
otherwise you'll have to search your memory or avast'S report/logfile as to what happened to the files..

-search the board for:
Parite

-> lots of infos there, including links to Parite-RemovalTools from bitdefender, panda, stinger/NAI ;)

Evert A

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2004, 03:12:14 PM »
Hi, i run win XP, and i moved the files to the 'moved' folder. See, ive already got an anti-Parite program, the only thing is, i cant open the thing, i cant open any exe file to be exact. Whenever i try to open one, windows says he cant find it.

whocares

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2004, 03:19:16 PM »
1) what happens if you download the tool on a different clean PC, put it on a CD or Disk (Writeprotect it afterwards!), boot your PC in SafeMode (press F8 when Booting), and run the tool form the CD/Disk ?

2) the Tool from www.Pandasoftware.com is a COM-File, you might try this instead of EXE-Cleaners

3) avast's Virus-Cleaner should at least correct the settings for opening exe-files.. -> run this Cleaner first, after renaming it to COM, scr, bat, pif whatever..; see here:
http://www.avast.com/i_idt_171.html
 ;)

whocares

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004, 03:19:57 PM »
P.S.: What errormessage appears, when you try to open an EXE-file ?

ave you tried the exe-files via links on the desktop/startmenu, or directly from within Explorer/My Computer ?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 03:21:18 PM by whocares »

Evert A

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2004, 03:23:21 PM »
Windows can't find ...... . Check wether you inserted the name correctly and try again. If you want to search for a file, go to the Start menu and click on Search.
That message, in dutch, really annoying

whocares

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2004, 03:25:08 PM »
and again:

try this tool

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/cleanrun.reg

and doubleclick it; try both safeMode or  ;)normalBoot

cleanrun.reg contains the following "good" entries for starting programs:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\comfile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

whocares

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2004, 03:26:45 PM »
Windows can't find ...... .

is "....." always the same, or always a different name, i.e. the file you wanted to start ?

anyway either Panda, the REG-file ;) or the Link to the avast-Cleaner should help you
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 03:27:20 PM by whocares »

Evert A

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2004, 03:32:02 PM »
'.....' is the path to the file i wanted to open, so its always different. I had already downloaded the Avast! Virus Cleaner, but i wouldnt open, but i renamed the extension to .com as you suggested, and now im running it, so lets hope it works!

Evert A

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2004, 07:36:38 PM »
Ehm...how do you let Avast move the files back to where they originally where, from the 'moved' folder?

whocares

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2004, 07:45:48 PM »
äärhm.. I don't know if you can do it automatically ?,

see in avast's log/report, where you moved what ... and do it manually..
if no-one else has a brillinat suggestion

P.S.: for the Future

a) why didn't you let avast REPAIR the files ?
b) why didn't you put them in avast's chest ?
c) it's generally a good idea to INFORM oneself on the proper removal prodcedure for a virus/malware BEFORE moving/deleting any files..

;)

Evert A

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2004, 07:58:29 PM »
I was panicking okay, avast couldnt repair it, i didnt dare to delete it, and ignoring it seamed a bit silly, so naturally i chose 'move', after that, move all. Its not like i had the time to check any website, i wasnt even in windows (boot check thingy remember)
Btw, whats the difference between the 'moved' and the 'chest' folder?

I DONT WANT TO DO IT MANUALLY :'( there are like 800 files in there!

whocares

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2004, 08:09:55 PM »
I don't have avast here, but imho from the chest you can just select all the files you want to restore, and restore them to their original location with a click; I guess that's what you want..

I don't think that it is so easy from the moved folder..

maybe you want to re-/overinstall windows, that might be quicker..
also some programs (even if repaired) might not work properly if they have internal selftests

:-\

whocares

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2004, 08:14:01 PM »
can you start exe-files now ?
is the PC clean apart from the files in the Moved folder ?

Evert A

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2004, 08:47:24 PM »
No...nothing works...gonna contact a pc nerd tomorrow, see if he can fix it..i really really really hate this :'(