Author Topic: Any comments on the new avast update [4.7.1029]?  (Read 15698 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Any comments on the new avast update [4.7.1029]?
« on: July 29, 2007, 12:17:06 PM »
Hi all,

according to our logs, the new version has been downloaded by almost 1 million users but still there's no complaints (or even comments) about it at all.
Is it really working that good? - Usually, there's at least a couple of people who have some problems... ;)

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

StyleWarz

Re: Any comments on the new avast update [4.7.1029]?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 12:55:50 PM »
infrastructure changes in the scanning engine bringing higher detection rates
I'm interested about this line from the changelog. Is it possible to explain about the improvements?

(Indeed no problems with this release for me  ;D)

Rafel

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 12:57:03 PM »
Running smoothly, without problems, as always. It's perfect.
Keep up the good work.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 01:04:13 PM »
I'm interested about this line from the changelog. Is it possible to explain about the improvements?

(Indeed no problems with this release for me  ;D)

I second this question :D
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 01:12:52 PM »
Working very well "Down Under" as usual 
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 01:41:13 PM »

Well, it's a lie. :) Well, the lie is that it is a feature of v4.7.1029. Instead, it is a feature of the latest couple of VPS updates (0760, 0761). There were some important improvements in the script scanning engine, elf (linux executable) scanning engine and a couple of other important changes.

We decided to put it to the program revision history because it was released roughly at the same time as the 1029 build (even though it should work OK even in the previous versions of avast).

So... hopefully, you'll have a chance to see improved performance of the engine.

Cheers
Vlk

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 02:25:22 PM »
Vlk, i just found a small problem. But not in teh problem but rather on your webpage (Download section for Home Edition). http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

avast! 4 Home - Arabic version (length %setupara_exe_len%)

The file size is not displayed, only variable for the size. Or is file just not uploaded yet?

Jem

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 02:41:05 PM »
Vlk, you obviously didn't manage to fix the Outlook 'Message Display Problem' that we uncovered. Just wanted to make sure that was the case and that presumably a fix is scheduled for the next release..??

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 02:47:48 PM »
If I remember Vlk's previous response it went something like, "I have been able to replicate it, but it isn't going to be a simple fix."
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

StyleWarz

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 02:51:26 PM »

Well, it's a lie. :) Well, the lie is that it is a feature of v4.7.1029. Instead, it is a feature of the latest couple of VPS updates (0760, 0761). There were some important improvements in the script scanning engine, elf (linux executable) scanning engine and a couple of other important changes.

We decided to put it to the program revision history because it was released roughly at the same time as the 1029 build (even though it should work OK even in the previous versions of avast).

So... hopefully, you'll have a chance to see improved performance of the engine.

Cheers
Vlk
Yes I already was confused because I always assumed scanner updates were preformed with the VPS updates. Wouldn't call it a lie, since the improvements are actually made. After all the huge database additions and now also engine updates I'm really looking forward to see how avast preforms :)

Thanks for the explanation Vlk!

Cutie Mark Surprise

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 03:24:18 PM »
It's working here also. Where is the changelog at? Just curious.

Jem

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 04:05:54 PM »
avast! 4 Home - Arabic version (length %setupara_exe_len%)

Yeah, I know. This need to be fixed by our webmaster (who's not online during weekends :))

Vlk, you obviously didn't manage to fix the Outlook 'Message Display Problem' that we uncovered. Just wanted to make sure that was the case and that presumably a fix is scheduled for the next release..??

No we haven't managed to fix this, as I said, it will need some deeper changes (maybe Igor, when he comes back from the beach, will look into it).
BTW it's not really an Outlook provider issue (at all). Basically, it happens every time there's a disabled check box or radio button in a skinned dialog (together with the XP Silver theme). See e.g. the avast settings dialog, it happens there too (e.g. the Report file page).

After all the huge database additions and now also engine updates I'm really looking forward to see how avast preforms

That makes us two... ;)

Cheers
Vlk

Jem

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 04:31:57 PM »
Am I missing a trick here? If I have a long path in 'Exclusions', there seems to be no way of seeing that path in full after it's been added...also, is it the same in the Pro version?

Thanks

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 05:20:29 PM »
Just click on it twice like you'd like to rename it and then scroll to the end...