Author Topic: Results of last scan  (Read 3235 times)

Offline Caryl

Results of last scan
« on: July 30, 2007, 01:21:41 AM »
The results of my last scan show that there are seven items that were unable to scan. What do I do with them?

I have Avast home edition, Windows XP, and IE 7.

Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Results of last scan
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 01:34:35 AM »
Nothing, if the reason given is legitimate and these look like they are.

The password protected files 'can't' be scanned avast doesn't know the password.

The RAR ones are more likely that hey can't be uncompressed rather than corrupt, they aren't live files as they are in the system volume information folder part of system restore. These are usually files that were previously in system folders which were deleted, Thought I can't see why they might have been in the system folders.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Caryl

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 01:43:50 AM »
Nothing, if the reason given is legitimate and these look like they are.

Thank you for your quick response.

I assume this means that every time I scan I will have these same seven files in the results as unscanned. I have scanned before, but did not question why the unscanned files were there.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 02:45:58 AM »
No problem, on the avast forums quick is more the norm.

Yes, you could set a restore point and then clear all old restore points, that would remove the ones in the system volume information folder.

Create Clean Restore Point - Clear old Restore Points.

1. Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System tools, System Restore.
2. In the pop-up that appears fill in the radio button to Create a Restore Point
3. Click NEXT
4. Enter a useful name that you will remember if you need to find this again (Clean Restore Point)
5. Click CREATE

You now have a clean restore point, you should clear the old ones:
1. Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System tools, Disk Clean Up
2. Click OK on the C: drive
3. Click the More Options tab
4. In the System Restore section click the Clean Up button

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Caryl

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 05:25:58 AM »
Yes, you could set a restore point and then clear all old restore points, that would remove the ones in the system volume information folder.

Thank you for your advice. I have done as you suggested and will see what happens when I next scan.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 02:15:51 PM »
Your welcome, it won't get rid of them all but reduce the number. The main thing is not to be unduly concerned about these, check the reason given and the location given to identify the associated application. This should give a good idea of the legitimacy.