Author Topic: Error on Update  (Read 8091 times)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Error on Update
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 10:51:55 PM »
While the avast team thinks ...

Try the recommendation in this post (you may want to try 120 seconds as the delay).

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=29564.0

Let us know if it makes any difference.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 10:53:51 PM »
Vlk,

some time ago in the forum I made a similar suggestion to that you are now considering.  It was not well received. 

Jem

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2007, 12:03:02 AM »
While the avast team thinks ...

Try the recommendation in this post (you may want to try 120 seconds as the delay).

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=29564.0

Let us know if it makes any difference.

I had no AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds entry in avast4.ini so I added it as below. Is this correct? Do I leave the other entries 'as is'?

If I don't respond any further to this thread it's because I'm away for a week with no web access. Let me know tonight on the avast.ini question if you can, otherwise I'll catch up next week.

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2007, 12:17:45 AM »
Well I would say No it isn't correct mainly because one seems to contradict the other (but I could be wrong, often ;D), AssumeAlwaysConnected=0 effectively says you don't have an always connected internet connection, so I don't know if it would then ignore the AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=120 command.

I would say AssumeAlwaysConnected=1 (yes/on) would be correct.

The trick would be monitoring when the check is made. Since there are quite frequent VPS updates if you set that to Ask rather than auto update for VPS you would see the notification of update. When you see that check the duration you have been on-line it should be greater than two minutes.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 12:19:30 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jem

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2007, 12:30:19 AM »
Well I would say No it isn't correct mainly because one seems to contradict the other (but I could be wrong, often ;D), AssumeAlwaysConnected=0 effectively says you don't have an always connected internet connection, so I don't know if it would then ignore the AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=120 command.

I would say AssumeAlwaysConnected=1 (yes/on) would be correct.

The trick would be monitoring when the check is made. Since there are quite frequent VPS updates if you set that to Ask rather than auto update for VPS you would see the notification of update. When you see that check the duration you have been on-line it should be greater than two minutes.

I agree (I think...!). Always connected is now 'on' in 'Settings', checked avast4.ini and that line now reads '1' as expected. I'll see what happens...

Jem

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 01:14:30 AM »
I'm a bit confused...

I'm happy to try all these things but...Vlk says "...I'd rather say that the FOLDER where the files were to be created did not exist..." So, what has the timing setting in avast4.ini got to do with that? That's clearly why he, and I, thought CCleaner's 'Windows Temp File' purging is the problem. alanrf - you say you suggested something before around 'protecting' this folder...? Presumably you could see it as a problem then - what is the connection between that and what you asked me to try with avast4.ini?

Sorry if I'm not seeing this clearly - just seemed that maybe we were at 'cross-purposes'...

Thanks

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2007, 01:31:14 AM »
David & Jem,

I have an always on cable connection.

I just did some testing that shows that if the network is on then the AssumeAlwaysConnected=0 does not matter. 

The default for avast is to delay 30 seconds from system start to look to see if there is a VPS update.  With the above setting AssumeAlwaysConnected=0 avast still did that.  With the addition of AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=120 then avast waited 120 seconds after system start before it performed the check for VPS update.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 01:37:03 AM »
Thanks Alan, something I couldn't test not having broadband.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2007, 01:46:23 AM »
Jem,

Vlk appears to have accepted the point I made that something (just possibly CCleaner) is locking access to the Windows temporary folder at the same time that avast is coming in at restart and trying to create a temporary folder to hold the files it will create during the VPS update process. 

If this theory is correct then because access is locked the temporary folder does not get created and avast goes on trying to put files into the temporary folder and fails (because the folder did not get created) and you see the errors messages you saw in the log. 

What Vlk is contemplating is similar to what they do in other situations already in avast.  The intent would be to make sure that they really can write to the Windows temporary folder and create the temporary folder they need before they proceed any further.

The more interesting part of the conversation Vlk will be having with the team is the part that has not been mentioned yet.  What if (as in the case in your system) avast cannot create the temporary file - what to do then? 

It can wait a while and try again.  What if it still cannot work then?  Eventually it needs to tell the user there is a problem if the situation persists.  (In reality we know it does not last for long because in almost every report of this problem the user can perform a manual update). 

The workaround I have recommended to you is not in any way at cross purposes with this - indeed it is totally in line with this.  It is delaying the avast update process until whatever has locked the access to the Windows temporary folder is out of the way and it will allow avast to create the temporary files.         
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 01:49:00 AM by alanrf »