Author Topic: VRDB-Time to complete?  (Read 4108 times)

sanctuary24

VRDB-Time to complete?
« on: August 03, 2007, 07:00:37 PM »
How long does it take for VRDB to complete?

and

If it is interupted does it have to start all over again or does it pick up where it left off?

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: VRDB-Time to complete?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 07:50:37 PM »
Obviously it'll depend on which update mode you're using (e.g., when idle) and how much needs to be done.

I use the "screen-saver" mode, since I never use a screen saver, and while I don't know how much of the 5 gigs or so on my drive is actually relevant, a VRDB update typically takes about 10-12 minutes.

And if by "interrupted" you mean you're using the when-idle mode, and input activity causes it to pause, yes it'll quite happily pick up where it left off once the keyboard and mouse are inactive again.  It'll go through this pause-resume cycle several times, if necessary.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

sanctuary24

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 07:52:26 PM »
if I were to shutdown the computer while it was still backing up would it corrupt the files (both the original and the backup) or would it stop and allow the computer to shutdown?

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 07:54:40 PM »
That one I'll have to leave to the experts.  But shutting down any time you"re creating or rewriting files is never a great idea.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 08:04:02 PM »
if I were to shutdown the computer while it was still backing up would it corrupt the files (both the original and the backup) or would it stop and allow the computer to shutdown?
It will stop and allow the computer to shutdown.
Next boot, it will continue in the last point it stopped.

If it is interupted does it have to start all over again or does it pick up where it left off?
It will continue where it stopped last time...
The best things in life are free.

sanctuary24

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »
Is it normal for VRDB to take a long time and why does it only store 3 system files I would have thought there were more files that were potential virus targets.

Is there anyway of improving this feature in future updates even if its only to have a progress bar or notification when its done?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 10:26:17 PM by sanctuary24 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 12:40:24 AM »
Is it normal for VRDB to take a long time
VRDB takes time... all your executable files will be processed.

and why does it only store 3 system files I would have thought there were more files that were potential virus targets.
You're messing VRDB with Chest (Quarantine). That three files are on Chest for backup purposes.

VRDB stores the necessary info to restore executables (*.exe, *.com) files.
VRDB is not a backup system, the stored information is very small (not the whole files).
Besides, only Win32 executables are processed.
The VRDB data are stored in <avast>\Data\Integ\avast.int
So it's not a backup utility, but a restore feature of avast.

Is there anyway of improving this feature in future updates even if its only to have a progress bar or notification when its done?
This was asked before... but if you want to quickly create VRDB, just choose to 'create it now' and wait.

sanctuary24

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 02:23:28 PM »
Sorry mate for the hassle its just I'm quite new to Avast and still trying to get my head around what it can do

One last thing to make sure I've got this right VRDB files are not shown in the chest they are stored within a file that Avast keeps in its own directory that will be accessed when a repair is necessary

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 05:45:27 PM »
One last thing to make sure I've got this right VRDB files are not shown in the chest they are stored within a file that Avast keeps in its own directory that will be accessed when a repair is necessary
Yes, you've got it.