Author Topic: German speaking users here ???  (Read 13339 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:German speaking users here ???
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2004, 02:03:56 AM »
Wader, are your Windows updated? Did you try to uninstall and install avast! again? I cannot imagine that a RPC error continue avoiding you to have the best antivirus  :'(
The best things in life are free.

vader

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2004, 09:36:37 AM »
Wader, are your Windows updated? Did you try to uninstall and install avast! again? I cannot imagine that a RPC error continue avoiding you to have the best antivirus  :'(
yes - my win2k is fully updated ;)
also i've tried to uninstall (included that i've deletet all entrys from the registry) & then to install again - same error :-\

the strange thing is that i think i could remember that this error cames up after register & updating AVAST !!!

so , anybody any idea ???

(btw: i use as i said WIN2k [complete updatet] / ZoneAlarm 5 [home version] / spamihilator [last version]

thanx for your support ::)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2004, 09:44:21 AM »
Is the avast antivirus service started?

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services.

If it's not running, try to start it manually. If this doesn't work, please post the error message you get.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

vader

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2004, 10:46:32 AM »
Is the avast antivirus service started?

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services.

If it's not running, try to start it manually. If this doesn't work, please post the error message you get.

Thanks
Vlk
no - both the avast-service & the avast antivir doesn't start - they are set to start automatically but they don't do :-[
when i try to start them by hand i get the error-message as follows (don't remember it exactly 'cause i'm sitting in the office now , not at home) :

error 5 - acces denied - could'nt start the service on the local computer

many thanx in advance ,
dan

btw : i've got admin rights on my homepc !!!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2004, 10:56:37 AM »
Hmm, access denied??
Haven't you played with the security settings of your folders? Is your disk formatted with the NTFS filesystem?

Please make sure that the "C:\Program Files" folder has Full Access right set for the account SYSTEM. This is absolutely necessary (of course, it has it by default but you might've removed this right...?).

Vlk

vader

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2004, 11:12:03 AM »
Hmm, access denied??
Haven't you played with the security settings of your folders? Is your disk formatted with the NTFS filesystem?

Please make sure that the "C:\Program Files" folder has Full Access right set for the account SYSTEM. This is absolutely necessary (of course, it has it by default but you might've removed this right...?).

Vlk
yes - i've set the security settings for all folders just on the admin-acces - but i've done this before installing avast !
jep - my disk is formatted with NTFS !
the strange is that the 1st time i've installed avast all providers were working - then i've registered avast & downloaded new virus-definitions & program updates and the "on acces protection" stopped when 'ive booted my pc the next time !!!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2004, 11:35:19 AM »
If the directory has no access under the SYSTEM account, it couldn't work. The service is starting under this account so the program files wouldn't be accessible at all...

I recommend granting the Program Files folder full access for the SYSTEM account. That should rectify the problem.

Thanks
Vlk

vader

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2004, 11:45:59 AM »
If the directory has no access under the SYSTEM account, it couldn't work. The service is starting under this account so the program files wouldn't be accessible at all...

I recommend granting the Program Files folder full access for the SYSTEM account. That should rectify the problem.

Thanks
Vlk
ok - i'll try this first ;)
but why has it worked then with the 1st install ???
after i've installed the program i didn't change anything at the access settings!
the problem is that i won't let the system have access to all partitions & folders on my machine because of my younger brother - my harddisk contains some stuff that isn't good for him to see ;)
and because of that he has installed XP he can access my harddisk alltough i've formated it with NTFS an he's got FAT32 - seems this is an "feature" of xp - right ???

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2004, 11:47:22 AM »
If you grant the right only to the SYSTEM account, your lil' bro still won't see anything ;) trust me :)

(unless he's a seasoned hacker ;D)

vader

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2004, 12:32:15 PM »
If you grant the right only to the SYSTEM account, your lil' bro still won't see anything ;) trust me :)

(unless he's a seasoned hacker ;D)
ok - i'll try this ::)
thx for your support so far ;)
(i will let you know if it works or not)

vader

It works now
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2004, 05:05:38 PM »
thx to you all for the great tips & support - my avast is running now & i'm safe to surf thru the i-net agein ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 05:06:01 PM by vader »