Author Topic: Outlook 2003 to 2007 upgrade, now cannot send SMTP email, Avast Pro 4.7 1029  (Read 7410 times)

Dunkelmann

When Avast! is disabled completely through Stop On Access Protection I can send email.  When all providers are stopped I cannot.  I get varying lengths of error message, all apparently the same cause.  The longest says "The connection to the server was interrupted. ... The server responded: 421 Cannot connect to SMTP server ... connect error 10061"

All was fine with Outlook 2003. I installed Office 2007 Enterprise and allowed it to upgrade my Outlook 2003 email.

I have checked the Services (2 auto, 2 manual).  I have checked Outlook Trust Center.  I have increased Outlook timeout to 2 min but the error comes back in say within 10 secs.

I am curious as to why there is a difference between stopping OAP (can send) and terminating all providers (can't send).

I can send from TheBat! without a problem.

Windows XP Pro SP2, Avast! 4.7.1029
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 10:22:05 PM by Dunkelmann »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Do you see the blue avast Outlook plugin splash screen when starting Outlook?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Dunkelmann

No - I don't.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
No - I don't.
Make sure the avast plugin is not disabled into MS Outlook:

Outlook 2007 > Tools > Trust center > Add-inns > Manage Disabled items.
Outlook 2003 > Help > About > Disabled items.
Outlook 2002 > Help > About Microsoft Outlook > Disabled items.
Outlook 2000 > Tools menu > Options > Other > Advanced Options > Add-In Manager.
The best things in life are free.

Dunkelmann

Thank You.  This has resolved the problem.  The manage option at the bottom of the Outlook 2007 is easily overlooked!  Essentially Outlook had found a problem with Avast! on installation, disabled it and did not show it in the list of disabled items in the Trust Center window pane.  Hence having to look for it under the manage option and drop-down.

Thanks again.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help.
The best things in life are free.