Author Topic: Is there any way to do a full shutdown of Avast  (Read 21910 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Is there any way to do a full shutdown of Avast
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 11:12:35 PM »
With your existing system I doubt you would be able to play any of the recent games at full effects, if you use the same games as you do now then they would fairly fly and may not notice any performance hit.

Terminate is different to stop on-access protection, as you are only stopping a single provider, terminate can be temporary or permanent (if you select Yes to the persist the changes question). During which no scanning will take place for that provider.

The Stop On-Access Protection no scanning for any provider takes place and you need to Start On-Access Protection when done with the task. The services wil still be in a running state but no scans otherwise you would need to reboot to restart them.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 11:18:25 PM »
Will using the "Stop On-Access Protection" help with the preformance and is my system still being protected?
No, you won't be protected. Otherwise, you can improve performance if you set the Standard Shield level to Normal (or even to Custom and disable the scanning of open/created/modified files but you'll be lowering protection!).
The best things in life are free.

jbalat

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2007, 03:38:47 AM »
Just to let you know that the batch file has had a big impact on improving my framerates..

I have also added this line.

net stop "Print Spooler" /y

and shut down other things like Help and Support which I have only used once...

To get further improvements I tweaked the in games settings, video drivers and played around with audio quality and acceleration.

I used a free tool called FRAPS to optimise my framerate with what I consider is an acceptable level of detail. I managed to get NFS Carbon from 15fps to 48fps and still maintain good visuals and gone up in Res to 1680x1050 !!

Vezra

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 02:23:25 PM »
Jbalat,

If you don't mind me asking what are your computer specs?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2007, 03:01:17 PM »
Just to let you know that the batch file has had a big impact on improving my framerates..

I have also added this line.

net stop "Print Spooler" /y

Thanks for the update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2007, 06:07:42 PM »
jbalat :
" I have also added this line.

net stop "Print Spooler" /y "
Maybe I'm missing something , but wouldn't disabling the Print Spooler service be best done : Run > Type in : services.msc and stopping the  "Print Spooler" service , along with " Help and support " ? I see that a batch file is easy to implement , but is disabling services from a batch file a good idea as far as system stability ? I'm curious  ???  Disabling uneeded XP services is a great resource saver of course . :)
I managed to get NFS Carbon from 15fps to 48fps and still maintain good visuals and gone up in Res to 1680x1050 !!
I use PlayStation to play NFS Carbon  ;D Much easier than computer !

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2007, 06:36:45 PM »
Net stop really is almost identical to using services.msc to 'Stop' the service, the stop button issues a stop command in the same way as a batch file would use net stop.

At least that is my assumption.

jbalat

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2007, 02:16:47 AM »
The batch file is great. I click it on my desktop just before playing games and it is all done in a few seconds. After that I usually do a Restart or go to bed...

I have 1Gb DDR400 - 3.8 Dual Core AMD processor and 256Mb 7900GT PCIE video with onboard sound with XP Pro. K8N Pro Sli M/Board. However its nearly time for an upgrade. Either another 7900 in SLI or wait for 2nd generation of DX10 cards ?

In terms of game controllers I have a MOMO wheel, MS FF2 joystick, Wireless Xbox360 game pad, Logitech wireless rumblepad, and a Zen Hua 4 channel remote control from my RC heli running PPJoy

CMcRae Dirt runs at a low 30-35fps even with lots of tweaking but besides that everything else runs pretty good at 1680x1050 on my 22" widescreen LCD.

Since we are talking gaming you may want to check out the TRACKIR which will be my next purchase. Its a device that tracks your head movement and pans/tilts/rolls the screen to see what you want to see. Kind of like having a 180 degree wrap around screen.

The TRACKIR Black Shark demo is a must see!! http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/03-enhanced-games/game-lock-on-12-black-shark.html
video is here..
http://media.naturalpoint.com/video/games/LockOn-BlackShark-6DOF-Demo.wmv

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2007, 03:14:31 AM »
before playing games and it is all done in a few seconds. After that I usually do a Restart or go to bed...
Are you online when you play? If so, you'll get in trouble sooner or later by disabling the antivirus...

jbalat

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2008, 04:31:13 PM »
Guys what is going on with the latest update? My shutdown script no longer works, it is impossible to kill ashdisp.exe  PLEASE HELP !!!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2008, 04:39:27 PM »
What is going on? New self-defense features were implemented, that's going on.
If you can kill the processes, an active malware can do the same. If you feel an urge to kill the processes, you can disable the whole self-protection in avast! settings / Troubleshooting page - but it won't give you any significant advantage.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2008, 04:57:43 PM »
You are falling foul to the self-defence module of the avast 4.8 version. There are many viruses out there now that try to disable your AV and prior to 4.8 avast was vulnerable to that along with many other AVs. Now it isn't vulnerable to these attacks, but what you are seeing is it in action.

jbalat

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2008, 02:29:53 AM »
Thanks.. That did the trick !

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2008, 04:29:38 AM »
Thanks.. That did the trick !
No... that seems you're disabling avast and standing without protection.
Why are you doing so?