Author Topic: Full screen popup, days after update to 21.6!  (Read 1705 times)

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Full screen popup, days after update to 21.6!
« on: August 14, 2021, 09:41:46 AM »
I was angered to see a full-screen popup advertising Avast update this morning on startup.
I do manual updates and this spooked me to thinking Avast had forced an automatic update over-riding my settings.
I was then diverted into checking if my version of avast was indeed automatically incremented from that I installed last week. It was not.
I can see no reason for this in-your-face advert appearing days after a manual update. I have never had this before and do not want it again.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 12:29:41 PM by rocksteady »

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
Re: Full screen popup, days after update to 21.6!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 11:52:26 AM »
Same here. Two days in a row.

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 01:06:58 PM »
I was angered to see a full-screen popup advertising Avast update this morning on startup.
I do manual updates and this spooked me to thinking Avast had forced an automatic update over-riding my settings.
I was then diverted into checking if my version of avast was indeed automatically incremented from that I installed last week. It was not.
I can see no reason for this in-your-face advert appearing days after a manual update. I have never had this before and do not want it again.
How many times have you restarted your PC since the update you said you did last week?
Did you get this popup last week just after the update?
I think this popup is a (late) announcement of last week's update... not a new one.

Offline Bluemeanie

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 03:24:09 PM »
Same thing here, yesterday and today. In my case it DID update the program even tho I have it set to check and notify me that there's an update avail. Not impressed at all about this. Nothing here gets updated or installed unless I do a full backup or clone. So, what's the reason for this? And for the record I power the pc off overnight and this was on the first boot of the day.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 05:53:08 PM »
How many times have you restarted your PC since the update you said you did last week?
I think this popup is a (late) announcement of last week's update... not a new one.
I have done at least 2 Restarts plus one after my manual version update last week.
I have no idea if the advert appeared at that time, I am usually dismissive of avast ad's, but this out of sequence ad forced me to go and check my installed program version, before doing other things today.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 06:22:39 PM »
I have done at least 2 Restarts plus one after my manual version update last week.
I have no idea if the advert appeared at that time, I am usually dismissive of avast ad's, but this out of sequence ad forced me to go and check my installed program version, before doing other things today.

I certainly wouldn't consider this as an ad ;)
What is it trying to sell (that is after all the purpose of an ad) ?

Quote from: rocksteady

I see this after every program update and restart (which I do manually, not auto) and I haven't seen this and I'm currently languishing on Avast Free 21.5.2470 (build 21.5.6354.680).  I certainly haven't had a forced program update.

No doubt I will see it once after I get round to doing a manual program update to 21.6.xxxx,  If I do I would put it down to a program bug
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2021, 08:06:14 PM »
I certainly wouldn't consider this as an ad ;)
it's not... it's just release notes like so many other programs (whether free or paid) do after an update.
In your case (rocksteady), it may have been delayed because of a problem accessing the avast server right after your computer was started.
I see this after every program update and restart
that's right for me too and I don't understand why some people discover it now unless it's the first time they update avast. :-\ (But I don't think this is your case, you are not young here.)
This popup always appears (only once) after an update both in auto and manual mode

nb:However a few months ago, there was a bug with this popup... it appeared at each startup and that was not normal.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 08:09:00 PM by chris.. »

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2021, 01:45:28 PM »
I guess it is fixed. No update notification today.