Author Topic: avast! 4 Professional Edition question  (Read 3387 times)

firecow

avast! 4 Professional Edition question
« on: August 02, 2007, 08:39:11 PM »
I am using  avast! 4 Professional Edition trial version I did a virus check it took 6 mins was it to short should it take longer then

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: avast! 4 Professional Edition question
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 10:11:47 PM »
It depends on what you scanned, how you scanned and your system.
- Without saying anything about your system, CPU, RAM, HDD capacity and DATA quantity scanned. Or the type of scan carried out (Standard, without archives, etc.) then we couldn't guess.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

firecow

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 10:20:18 PM »
Everything on my computer should it take 6 min

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 12:04:12 AM »
I don't know, what is everything on your computer ???

The above information I mentioned in my first reply helps decide if 6 minutes is incredibly fast or not, if you are only scanning 1GB of data it is incredibly slow if you have a system that has any sort of performance about it. There are different sensitivity levels, Low, Standard and Thorough, plus if archives are scanned or not.

Without information I have nothing to use to compare.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

_Rej_

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 06:34:52 PM »
Hi Firecow,

to find out how much space is being used by your system, the fastest way is to double click on the 'My Computer' Icon found on the desktop.

If you cannot it on the desktop, right click on an empty part of the Desktop, select Properties, then click on the Desktop tab, and finally click on the 'Customize Desktop..." button.

Make sure that 'My Computer' is checked.. then click ok.

Once you double-click on My Computer Icon, you'll see Windows Explorer.  It will show you all the Hard disks available to you on your computer, with the space taken by each.  This space is the amount of data used on your computer.

Now to be sure that you scan all the files on your computer, start AVast by right click on its 'A' icon on the task bar, then select the second option from the top called 'Started Avast! Antivirus'.  Once it has completed it's memory scan, you will have the option to scan all the local hard drives on your computer (this is what you want if you want to scan the entire computer).

To select that option, click the first big button (Local Disks) located on the upper right of the default skin (looks like a media player) just below the '?' '-' 'x' tiny buttons.

If you're like me and are using the szc-kde skin, just click on the big button that looks like a hard disk at the bottom (4th button from the left).

Once clicked, you just need to click on the play button to start the scan of your entire computer.  If you need help choosing the 'type' of scan, let me know (there's a quick scan, normal scan and thourough scan) all with the option of scanning the archived files (.zip, .rar etc).

Good luck and if you do scan, let us know how much time it took this time :)

Regards,

_Rej_

P.S. the above instructions assume that you are using WinXP.  If you're using Vista, they are similar.  Again, let me know if you are having trouble if you're using Vista.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 06:38:21 PM by _Rej_ »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 06:38:29 PM »
The scan reports the amount of data scanned at the end of the scan, so the information is readily available.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 08:14:43 PM »
I am using  avast! 4 Professional Edition trial version I did a virus check it took 6 mins was it to short should it take longer then
How are you starting the scan?
By the skin or by the Tasks of the Enhanced Interface?
Did you check to scan 'archive' files (thorough scanning)?
The best things in life are free.