Author Topic: Why are some Avast modules loaded twice?  (Read 5072 times)

UlfB

Why are some Avast modules loaded twice?
« on: August 06, 2007, 06:39:50 PM »
Hi,

When examining loaded modules in WinXP Pro System Information I noticed that some Avast modules are loaded twice. aavm4h.dll , ashuint.dll and aswcmnos.dll are some examples. Is this normal?

The attached picture shows how the aavm4h.dll is presented.

Ulf Bjarke  :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Why are some Avast modules loaded twice?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 07:15:52 PM »
Isn't it just the same but just named twice: one at long path and the other at short path (alwils~1)?
The best things in life are free.

UlfB

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 07:28:38 PM »
Isn't it just the same but just named twice: one at long path and the other at short path (alwils~1)?

You tell me ;) I'm no expert on Sysinfo. But hopefully this is just a presentation issue. But if it is, why aren't all loaded modules shown with both long and short path?  ??? So the question remain unanswered.

Ulf B  :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 07:38:04 PM »
I'm no expert on Sysinfo.
Neither do I...

But hopefully this is just a presentation issue. But if it is, why aren't all loaded modules shown with both long and short path?  ??? So the question remain unanswered.
Yes, it will be good that someone from Alwil team come here to explain.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 07:51:54 PM »
Maybe it's reated to the tool used to display this info? What does ProcessExplorer show?

UlfB

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 08:21:21 PM »
Maybe it's reated to the tool used to display this info? What does ProcessExplorer show?

Maybe it is. You tell me  ;) I downloaded ProcessExplorer from Microsoft, but this gave me no overview over loaded modules (dll files). This tools only show running processes and for each process I got a lot of information that I'm not able to understand. Is there another tool available that show loaded modules/dll files?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 08:42:29 PM »
Select the process you are interested in (e.g. ashServ.exe) and press Ctrl+D; you should see the list of loaded modules in the lower pane.

UlfB

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 08:44:40 PM »
Hi again,

I downloaded a tool, What's running, from Tucows and this was a good one. When I examined the Avast module Aavm4h.dll, this tool clearly show that one instance of this module is used by three processes: ashServ.exe, ashMaiSv.exe and ashWebSv.exe. The other loaded instance is used by two processes: ashDisp.exe and iexplore.exe. So the module is loaded twice it seems, but shared by several processes.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 08:48:27 PM »
Maybe it is. You tell me  ;) I downloaded ProcessExplorer from Microsoft, but this gave me no overview over loaded modules (dll files).
Yes, it has.
View > Lower Pane View > DLL

Edited: Igor posted a shortcut to it.

UlfB

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 10:36:05 PM »
Select the process you are interested in (e.g. ashServ.exe) and press Ctrl+D; you should see the list of loaded modules in the lower pane.

Thanks, that worked pretty well. But the tool What's running have a more intuitive interface and seems to be very flexible. Anyway, the question why the same module is instanciated more than once is solved. So MS SysInfo gave the correct information, that is some modules are loaded more than once.