Author Topic: mailscanner and outlook express  (Read 4903 times)

n4wwl

mailscanner and outlook express
« on: February 28, 2004, 05:48:48 AM »
I have not been able to configure my avast! 4 home edition to scan my incoming and outgoing e-mails.  Wonder if someone can help.

I use Outlook Express and connect to the internet via a wireless network.  I have several different pop accounts and a hotmail account that I check via Outlook Express.  

The mail protection wizard configured avast! to check only 1 pop server and shows the mail server address as 127.0.0.1, which is supposed to be my local computer.  When I run OE, I get a user name and password box that appears as each account is checked for incoming mail.  However, none of the accounts connects to the server and I am left with half a dozen server error messages, half a dozen password windows that pop up, and no mail downloaded.

I can't figure out how to configure this so it will check each account without prompting me for a user name/password.  Do I need to set the server name for my ISP, my wireless router, or my local computer?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

David

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:mailscanner and outlook express
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2004, 02:57:39 PM »
Remember that avast handles more than one SMTP server, to configure your e-mail client (program) follow these steps:
1. Close all your email applications.
2. Start Windows Menu > avast! antivirus > Mail Protection Wizard
3. Click Next on the first screen
4. Choose 'Setup the protection manually'
5. Choose 'I don't use MS Outlook (nor MS Exchange client) or
'I use other programs to work with e-mails as well'
a) with MS Outlook/Exchange, the Wizard finishes here.
b) with another e-mail client:
After the service was disabled, choose Next
Select your e-mail accounts (or 'My accounts is not in the list...' to get help)
Finish your configuration and the service will start again.
You can run the Mail Protection Wizard more than once and all the changes could be reversed ('Automatically remove protection from all my accounts'). Nowadays, the following Internet Mail Clients are supported: MS Outlook (including Outlook 2003), MS Exchange, MS Outlook Express, Eudora, Pegasus Mail, Netscape Mail, Mozilla Mail, IncrediMail and The Bat!
If this not help, you, try the help file Manual setting of mail protection. Launch your mail program and let the program display the account settings.
1. If you want to check outgoing messages, change the address of SMTP server to the address of the local computer, i.e. 127.0.0.1. The localhost or 127.0.0.1 is the way to scan your outbound mail.
2. If you want to check incoming messages, change the address of POP (IMAP) server to the address of the local computer, i.e. 127.0.0.1. The localhost or 127.0.0.1 is the way to scan your inbound mail.
3. Change user (login) name this way: append the character # (double hash) and the address of your POP (IMAP) server (the same as you specified in the avast4.ini file in Step one). Login name should then look like this:
yourname#pop3.server.com
4. If your e-mail program supports SMTP authentication and also makes it possible to set a different login name for SMTP than for POP
5. If the SMTP authentication is enabled, append the character # and the address of your SMTP server to the login name (e.g. yourname#smtp.server.com).
6. If the SMTP authentication is disabled, enable it and use the character # together with the address of your SMTP server as the login name (e.g. #smtp.server.com).
7. Save your changes.
The best things in life are free.

n4wwl

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2004, 04:36:11 PM »
Thanks for the help.  I have tried this and still can't log on to my e-mail servers for some reason.  I get the following error mesage:

"There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your User Name was rejected. Account: 'Erols', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Cannot connect to POP server pop.erols.com:110, connect error 10061', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC91"

I receive this message about 6 times for each server that I have an e-mail account on.  My user name is in the myname#pop.server.com format.

I will keep troubleshooting and let you know if I become successful.  Thanks again for the help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2004, 04:48:48 PM »
Are you using a spam killer?  ;)

n4wwl

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2004, 04:51:15 PM »
I am using Outpost Firewall and a pop-up blocker.  Would either of them cause the problem?

n4wwl

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2004, 04:57:21 PM »
I guess so!  When I turned Outpost off, 4 of my six e-mail accounts went through. I don't know why the other 2 keep giving me an error.  I have now configured Outpost to allow the 4 at all times.  If I can figure out what's blocking the other two, I'll be in business.

Thanks again for helping me troubleshoot this!

n4wwl

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2004, 05:05:27 PM »
Okay, I got it.  All 6 accounts are ok.  I had to modify the user name in 2 accounts by changing the name of the server.  It seems to work fine now!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2004, 03:32:28 PM »
Okay, I got it.  All 6 accounts are ok.  I had to modify the user name in 2 accounts by changing the name of the server.  It seems to work fine now!

So it was a firewall trouble?
Nice that you figure out and solve your trouble  8)