Author Topic: updates  (Read 2190 times)

tup

updates
« on: August 07, 2007, 05:21:22 PM »
since the latest version i'm again getting the "avast needs to reboot" popup at every new update. can you give me the link to the uninstaller? uninstalling and reinstalling worked the last time of a new version.

also is there a way to not have the updates come at startup but at a time of my choosing? they take so long and everything slows down.

thank you

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: updates
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 06:16:56 PM »
Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD. Now uninstall, reboot, run the uninstall utility, reboot install the latest version, reboot.

You can switch to manual updates, Program Settings, Update (Basic).
Or you could have it check for updates and 'ask' that way you would be aware that an update is available, just ignore the notification and do it later.
You could also delay the update by a few minutes, what is your internet connection, dial-up, etc. ?

However, the avast auto updates shouldn't be slow the signature file updates are incremental and are typically about 25-50 KB or less unless you haven't updated in a while.

Program updates are different:
1. they are set to ask by default so shouldn't update automatically.
2. the update cycle is spread over 7 days to balance server load as they may well be larger.
There has recently been a program update which may be what you have experienced.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: updates
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 10:35:37 PM »
since the latest version i'm again getting the "avast needs to reboot" popup at every new update.
Operating system restart needed by avast message could be solved, in some systems, by deleting the file <avast>\setup\reboot.txt

also is there a way to not have the updates come at startup but at a time of my choosing? they take so long and everything slows down.
Sure, just change (or add) AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds value into the [InetWD] section of avast4.ini file. You could set the number of seconds to wait before attempting to update. The default is 30 but it may not be enough in some DSL systems. In this case, you can try increasing this e.g. to 60 (1 minute). That should be enough.
More details here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1647
The best things in life are free.