Author Topic: avast crashes / says deleted stale lock file  (Read 26556 times)

glynNI

avast crashes / says deleted stale lock file
« on: August 08, 2007, 01:58:54 PM »
Hi

I've seen topic on this, and I've tried to read and follow them, but all got a bit complicated, so if anyone now knows an easy/quick answer!! :)

suse 10.2, intel centrino duo, just installed avast for linux

starts, enter license key, GUI pops up, start scan of everything, seems to be running OK, suddenly stops (crashes?) with no messages, when I start it again it says "Deleted stale lock file '/home/xxx/.avast/lockfile-xxx'., asks for license key again, GUI pops up, start scan, same things happens again

anyone? please and many thanks   :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avast crashes / says deleted stale lock file
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 02:25:11 PM »
If you run avast (start), add the license, update and then close, after that, open again and try to scan. The deletion of the lock file is due to incorrect shutdown (close) of avast. Hope it helps.
The best things in life are free.

glynNI

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 02:40:01 PM »
Hi
Thanks for your repaly. I did what you suggested, and it was all looking good, when I started avast again it didn't ask me for a license key, the GUI opeened, but when I did the scan it shut down again in the middle of it and when I opened avast again said deleted lock file again. It didnt ask for the key though.

this is the tar.gz version by the way.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 02:44:32 PM »
when I did the scan it shut down again in the middle of it and when I opened avast again said deleted lock file again.
I'm not on Linux now, but if I remember correctly you could check in the report options for the 'ok' files... so, the report will shown (at the end) the last file that could be scanned... the next one bring the problem. Can you do some research and find which file is doing that?

glynNI

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 03:52:11 PM »
right, did that, told it to report everything, ran scan, it crashed, report file empty.
tried to run scan again, with over writing old report file, says permission denied, so run scan as root, crashes again, and report file empty again
:(

glynNI

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 03:55:52 PM »
...when I pause the scan while its running, it will show me a report, presumably of the scan up until I pause it, but when the scan crashes it seems the report.txt file is empty

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 04:00:20 PM »
Sorry glynNI, my Linux knowledge is far from the problem you're experiencing.
We need Alwil team here...

glynNI

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 04:05:13 PM »
thanks for trying anyway

baconmaker

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 08:57:10 PM »
I have a similar problem.  I have avast on ubuntu 10.10 registration and update went fine.  If I scan home directory or selected folders with a quick, standard or thorough scan I get a report "no virus' found."  But if I scan the entire system, using any of the three options, avast always crashes before completing the scan.  Upon restart I always get the "deleted stale lock file..." error message.  I do not know if this has anything to do with these error messages or not but, I am running two hard drives one with ubuntu 10.10 the other with windoze XP and avast home.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 03:27:58 PM »
I have a similar problem.  I have avast on ubuntu 10.10 registration and update went fine.  If I scan home directory or selected folders with a quick, standard or thorough scan I get a report "no virus' found."  But if I scan the entire system, using any of the three options, avast always crashes before completing the scan.  Upon restart I always get the "deleted stale lock file..." error message.  I do not know if this has anything to do with these error messages or not but, I am running two hard drives one with ubuntu 10.10 the other with windoze XP and avast home.

Please, identify what file was processed when the crash took place. Use strace -f _the_cmdline_you_used_normally_ 2>&1 | tee /dev/tty | gzip -c -9 >log.gz

The log and the file which caused it would be useful for us, thanks in advance.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

baconmaker

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 08:44:03 PM »
I am a real newbie and could not follow your instruction.  I tried to copy/paste your command line into terminal to no avail. I ran several scans and will try to attach the txt files I saved.  But I have been having problems with the forum saying the files are to big, so I will try and break them down and send one by one.  I will also try and send an email direct to you. One thing I noticed in running the scans is on some (I did not watch close enough)  the avastgui used up almost all of my memory. 930 MiB of 1000 MiB.  If you need me to replicate this and be more precise in my comments let me know. Hope this works.  Thank you for your help.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 01:37:44 PM »
I am a real newbie and could not follow your instruction.  I tried to copy/paste your command line into terminal to no avail. I ran several scans and will try to attach the txt files I saved.  But I have been having problems with the forum saying the files are to big, so I will try and break them down and send one by one.  I will also try and send an email direct to you. One thing I noticed in running the scans is on some (I did not watch close enough)  the avastgui used up almost all of my memory. 930 MiB of 1000 MiB.  If you need me to replicate this and be more precise in my comments let me know. Hope this works.  Thank you for your help.

Hallo, byt this is not what i wanted, it';s just consequence, but not the original cause (= some file on your hdd, which crashes the engine upon scan). Using strace is easy, do everything as normally when running your scan from terminal, just prepend strace -f.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

baconmaker

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 02:07:51 PM »
I had the same problem a number of years ago when I tried Ubuntu for the first time and again recently when a made a larger commitment to switch.  I found a competetive product which works flawlessly.  Sorry, Avast. Your Avast Home for windows is a great product and I have set it up on multiple other computers for people and it has always worked perfectly.  For as great as Home is, my experience with your Linux based product has been just the opposite. The 3 problems which I experienced, and was not smart enough to fix (I am a newbie), are  1) the crashes as posted by others, 2) uses virtually all of my system resources (I have 1000 MiB of memory), and 3) the lack of incremental updates. On a slow internet connection having to reload all definitions every time is a headache.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 02:18:03 PM »
3) the lack of incremental updates.
+1

freudenstachel

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 12:29:15 PM »
i actually have the same problem as this.
avast crashes whenever i scan my system as root.
but it does not crash when i am logged as a normal user.
why does this happen?

edit:
actually, it crashes now even though i am logged as a normal user.
the only thing i can think about is the "thorough scan" option.
the last proper scan that i did is a standard scan logged as a normal user.

maybe it crashes because of the thorough scan? is that it?

edit:
just tried the standard scan but it now crashes. what should i do?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 03:43:14 PM by freudenstachel »