Author Topic: COMODO FIREWALL CRUCIFIED!  (Read 70285 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: COMODO FIREWALL CRUCIFIED!
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 12:16:19 AM »
So when comodo "calls" out it transmits out data.
It appears it is spyware.
If it is indeed spyware then cpf isn't free, your surfing pays for it.
It's difficult to believe...
The best things in life are free.

MFB

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 12:28:47 AM »
BoClean is a comodo product.  BoClean calls out to theplanet.com.
It appears comodo fw, comodo boclean & theplanet.com are "dirty".
I see...
But is this real or just a hoax or FUD as posted before?
What is 'call' in this situation? Is Comodo a spyware? ???
Tech,

When you make a telephone call you voice is transmitted over the phone lines.

So when comodo "calls" out it transmits out data.

It appears it is spyware.

If it is indeed spyware then cpf isn't free, your surfing pays for it.

There is a link to PC Tools Fw in my sig below for you to enjoy safe, free surfing.

If you continue reading the topic regarding about Comodo BOClean, you'll also find a reply from Kevin McAleavey who's the Security Expert there. ( click here )

or here's the quote from his post:

Greetings! That will be the autoupdate itself doing that, checking to see if there's a new database update for BOClean. Whilst the PSC BOClean connected with our own servers at logical.net, with the large volume of BOCleans out there now, logical.net just wasn't up to the task of handling all those connections without problems. COMODO is using servers at "theplanet.com" for the ftp download for BOClean and what's going on is a standard "passive FTP" connection there to do a file list to see if what is there is newer than what you have already and if so, it will download and install it. But that's all that's going on there.

If it's a concern, you can go into BOClean's configuration screen and turn off the autoupdate and do them manually, but it will go to that very same place now for the manual update. Good move on the 4.24 though ... whilst the 4.23 release had a lot of problems, the 4.24 release solves a lot of problems that 4.22 had and is by far the best one ever. And as we pass 32,000 unique items, we NEED to draw the curtain and end support for the 4.22 release in the next few days as it's run out of room to go much past that. In all sincerity though, 4.24 is far superior to 4.22 and there's nothing funny going on. Like all previous versions of BOClean, coded it all with my own two hands, so I still know exactly where all the bones are buried.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 12:43:04 AM »
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=181689

http://pure-essence.net/2004/02/25/theplanetcom-referral-spam/

The first link it would appear that this is BOClean auto updates at work
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1051096&postcount=7
Greetings! That will be the autoupdate itself doing that, checking to see if there's a new database update for BOClean. Whilst the PSC BOClean connected with our own servers at logical.net, with the large volume of BOCleans out there now, logical.net just wasn't up to the task of handling all those connections without problems. COMODO is using servers at "theplanet.com" for the ftp download for BOClean and what's going on is a standard "passive FTP" connection there to do a file list to see if what is there is newer than what you have already and if so, it will download and install it. But that's all that's going on there.

I suggest you read the whole topic (not just my link and quote) where the reason for that is I think clearly explained.

It too can't see why the second link is in there as aside from BOClean using some servers on theplanet.com domain it has no control over it and any referral spam. Which has absolutely nothing to do with comodo.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2007, 12:43:34 AM »
If you continue reading the topic regarding about Comodo BOClean, you'll also find a reply from Kevin McAleavey who's the Security Expert there. ( click here )

or here's the quote from his post:

If it's a concern, you can go into BOClean's configuration screen and turn off the autoupdate and do them manually, but it will go to that very same place now for the manual update. Good move on the 4.24 though ... whilst the 4.23 release had a lot of problems, the 4.24 release solves a lot of problems that 4.22 had and is by far the best one ever. And as we pass 32,000 unique items, we NEED to draw the curtain and end support for the 4.22 release in the next few days as it's run out of room to go much past that. In all sincerity though, 4.24 is far superior to 4.22 and there's nothing funny going on. Like all previous versions of BOClean, coded it all with my own two hands, so I still know exactly where all the bones are buried.
Sounds like a good cover-up.  Google "theplanet.com", it doesn't look like theplanet.com is a good choice, except if you're into malware.

drhayden1

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2007, 01:32:41 AM »
There is a link to PC Tools Fw in my sig below for you to enjoy safe, free surfing.
with bad leak tests results rated VERY POOR-no thanks-everything you do-someone or something is spying on you now days-software,hardware,real life,at work basically everywhere-so nothing is safe and secure as we wish it would be ::) :o
will keep comodo on here-until it is proven fact-no gossip or hear say will prove it ;)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 01:36:00 AM by drhayden1 »

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2007, 01:42:19 AM »
10 minutes after installing the latest update it was calling out to 92.c8.344a.static.theplanet.com

What is that all about?

Why the need to update after 10 minutes?  Something is fishy here?  There is something rotten in Denmark!  10 mins earlier an update was successful. 

I smell a rat.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 01:44:35 AM by rdmaloyjr »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2007, 02:14:58 AM »
If you can't believe the person whose comment I quoted and he is the developer (I believe) of the latest version of boclean, so I guess he would know what is coded, I don't know who you will believe. You can smell as many rats as you like but without evidence to the contrary, packet sniffers, etc. to identify the content you will never know for sure.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2007, 02:51:53 AM »
If you can't believe the person whose comment I quoted and he is the developer (I believe) of the latest version of boclean, so I guess he would know what is coded, I don't know who you will believe. You can smell as many rats as you like but without evidence to the contrary, packet sniffers, etc. to identify the content you will never know for sure.
Does that make him trustworthy?  Do you know him personally?  Can you vouch for him?  Have you read his response to Ian Richards' review of comodo boclean?

He didn't explain why an update after 10 mins.  He ignored the issue.  Maybe the other server had a newer update, but I don't know of a software that every 10 min it checks all servers & makes multiple updates.

When I used NOD32 I sometimes had to force it to keep checking till it found an update.  Most find an update then wait for the set interval before checking again.

I don't need or want anything to do with comodo, but as malware fighters we should be on the alert for suspicious-ware.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2007, 03:20:48 AM »
Does that make him trustworthy?  Do you know him personally?  Can you vouch for him?
I've asked an official word here.

He didn't explain why an update after 10 mins.  He ignored the issue.  Maybe the other server had a newer update, but I don't know of a software that every 10 min it checks all servers & makes multiple updates.
I've asked for automatic updates, it's normal to contact the update servers for that.
Don't you trust avast for the same reason?

I don't need or want anything to do with comodo, but as malware fighters we should be on the alert for suspicious-ware.
No, it's not suspicious. It's a serious company.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2007, 03:22:31 AM »
@ rdmaloyjr
You can go to the forum and topic and ask the question directly instead of speculatively 'smelling rats' in this forum.

When a person puts his comments in print so to speak you at least have to give them the courtesy of trusting what they say until someone provides the 'evidence' that disproves what he said, then you can call him a liar. I don't know him, nor have I read his reply to the boclean review, but then again I'm not trying to find any evidence on boclean being spyware or suspicious.

If you feel he ignored the 10 minute issue, get on the forum and press him on it. The same is true of your comment "but as malware fighters we should be on the alert for suspicious-ware" at some point a suspicion has to be proven and so far I don't see any 'evidence.'

I don't use boclean, because personally I don't think it is all that good (I haven't tried the latest version though) not because of any suspicion. So that is me done as I don't use the product and won't waste any further time speculating.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2007, 03:44:47 AM »
I've asked for automatic updates, it's normal to contact the update servers for that.
Don't you trust avast for the same reason?
My copy of avast! is at the default setting for updates every 240 mins.  Not 10 mins.

Automatic updates are great.  I wish all my free programs did. :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2007, 04:42:36 AM »
Final word?
Read the whole story before posting:
http://forums.comodo.com/help/phoning_home-t11317.0.html
http://forums.comodo.com/feedbackcommentsannouncementsnews/what_do_you_think_about_this-t11280.0.html
Tech,

It is pretty silly to ask comodo if they're spyware, do you really think they will say yes?  Whether or not they are spyware?  Do you think a man that plans to rob a bank will notify the bank of his intensions?  Have you ever heard of the term "stool pidgen"?

After reading those 2 threads in comodo forums you gave me, I am more suspicious of comodo.

I don't see of any need to continue this thread.  Comodo has won with the help of it's victims.  The irony is overwhelming.

neal62

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2007, 06:55:13 AM »
I don't think Comodo has won OR lost. There are plenty of us that don't use Comodo, I don't for instance. I am perfectly happy with the firewall that I do use.  :)