Author Topic: Apple released all new iMac  (Read 116767 times)

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: Apple released all new iMac
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2007, 10:30:50 PM »
Thanks for clarifying Sasha & Mac...I think an iMac will be on its way soon! ;D

Dang two converts with one thread!! A new world record :D
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2007, 01:21:42 AM »
Well, I wouldn't call myself "converted", at least not yet  ;D I use best of both worlds, and even though it looks incredibly large, Mac is still minority in my house... there are two PCs, one with XP and another one with Vista  ;D

But joke aside... I am sure if MS don't do anything serious to fix those huge issues with Vista, especially with these Apple prices... many people will switch without a second thought... add to all this that they can run their Windows natively in case they need to or simply because they feel nostalgic... well, there you go.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2007, 04:56:52 AM »
Well, I wouldn't call myself "converted", at least not yet  ;D I use best of both worlds, and even though it looks incredibly large, Mac is still minority in my house... there are two PCs, one with XP and another one with Vista  ;D

But joke aside... I am sure if MS don't do anything serious to fix those huge issues with Vista, especially with these Apple prices... many people will switch without a second thought... add to all this that they can run their Windows natively in case they need to or simply because they feel nostalgic... well, there you go.

You were a Windows only person that now Also uses a Mac. Close enough for me. Once people TRY a mac the mac will finish them off. its highly addicting :D

"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2007, 05:55:27 AM »
Tell me about it !  ;D  ;D  ;D Oh my God, this iLife 08 is incredible. I am not going to leave my apartment ever again  ;D Oh well, till tomorrow morning when I have to go to my studio... but the good thing is - we use PCs and Macs at work. Macs are some kind of standard when it comes to web design/multimedia/video editing/printing industry... and that's exactly what we're doing.  ;D
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

roro

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2007, 09:48:03 AM »
Mac,
I have a full installation disk for XP Home SP 1 from both Gateway and Averatec.  I also have a CD on which I downloaded SP 2.  Both disks say for installation only from their respective PC's.  Do you think it would still be possible to use them in BootCamp.

Ro Ro

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2007, 01:20:46 PM »
Mac,
I have a full installation disk for XP Home SP 1 from both Gateway and Averatec.  I also have a CD on which I downloaded SP 2.  Both disks say for installation only from their respective PC's.  Do you think it would still be possible to use them in BootCamp.

Ro Ro

No, there is no way you'll be able to use those disks. Those are like it says "for installation only on those branded PCs". Those disks are totally unusable if you want to install them somewhere else... even on some self-built PC or some other branded PC. Unfortunately, they work only on those branded computers for which they were compiled in the first place. I call them rescue disks, not even real installation disks...  :-\

To install windows on Mac, you'll need real Windows installation disk (usually golden or silver)... something like this:

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2007, 02:42:13 PM »
Mac,

Based on what has been previously said, you would need a 'retail' version of Windows XP (SP2) more expensive, not an upgrade or OEM version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

roro

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2007, 08:54:11 AM »
Thank you Sash and DavidR.  That is was I was concerned about. 

I found an XP Home Edition full disk online for $91.99.  Maybe next year, when I upgrade, I will get a MAC desktop.  By that time if it is still around, the XP disk may be even less expensive and worthwhile to buy.  Or, maybe Vista will have improved enough for me to think about it instead.

Ro Ro :D :D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2007, 03:06:44 PM »
Yes, hopefully it will drop in price, but I'm not so sure because there is some resistance to Vista so XP so that may be holding prices up because of demand. By that time the Vista SP1 should hopefully have been released and you can see if it resolves some of the issues with the current version. You should be able to read the reviewers comments, etc.

Even more hopefully XP SP3 will be released, they really are putting that on a back burner, I feel in the hope people will jump to vista.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2007, 10:33:01 PM »
I never thought I would say anything like this in my wildest dreams, but here I go... Vista looked so nice to me at first, because cosmetic point of view IS important like to admit it or not... regardless, the fact is that you want pretty environment, period.

But when I think twice about everything... what do you get with Vista really ? Nothing, one big nothing. A transparency effect on window borders which BTW looks really nice and makes your desktop looks somehow not that clogged anymore... windows really don't look that "heavy" anymore, but that's about it... they screamed like crazy about some effects but what do you really get? Flip 3D that actually does nothing effective and it gets boring after you see it for the 10th time... I mean, just take a look at all those effects Beryl/Compiz, now Compiz Fusion does for Linux, or take a look at OSX Tiger and soon Leopard... those are some useful features that actually helps you to be more productive and do some things a way faster. Best of all, those are not just cosmetic features, but something unbelievable helpful. Best of all, they don't require such a powerful machines like Vista does. Full of bugs at this stage, it simply doesn't allow me to do my job properly... it's on my way, and when something is on my way, I have to move it or if it's not an option, I have to turn away and find some other solution... which I did... I still hope they will do something finally to make this Vista running nice, but at this point I am sorry to say, this OS is a total failure. Not talking about some normal every day activities, browsing the internet, playing some simple game, or watching the DivX movie... just try to open few large applications like Photoshop, Fireworks, Illustrator and try to work with large files for some time... it looks like cache memory is filling up and nothing's being released... it gets worse and worse... you have to restart those applications to get back on horse. Really annoying... and don't even want to mention computers specs because those are a way above normal Vista requirements... plus 2 Gb of DDRAM2... c'mon.

shgoh

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2007, 04:00:47 AM »
Just a quick question, is AppleCare a necessity?

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2007, 04:41:42 AM »
No it is not, although many will try to sell it to you when you go to buy your Mac. I went directly to the largest Apple store in Toronto and the guy who helped me with explanations about all models, plus another guy who works as cashier, they both said that AppleCare is simply a POS (Piece of S**t) - their words, not mine. Too much money spent comparing what you get. I am sure Kyle will not agree with me on this one, but that's just because he works for Apple and I am just a simple customer  ;D

Basic warranty covers pretty long period of 1 year, plus during the first 14 days you can even return your computer in case you are not satisfied. You'll get your money back in case box is still unopened. In case you already took out everything and you still decide to return it, there could be a fee of 190 and something dollars (I believe they call it stocking fee).

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2007, 06:16:31 AM »
Just a quick question, is AppleCare a necessity?
No it is not, although many will try to sell it to you when you go to buy your Mac. I went directly to the largest Apple store in Toronto and the guy who helped me with explanations about all models, plus another guy who works as cashier, they both said that AppleCare is simply a POS (Piece of S**t) - their words, not mine. Too much money spent comparing what you get. I am sure Kyle will not agree with me on this one, but that's just because he works for Apple and I am just a simple customer  ;D

I let the Customer Decide. But here is an Example (using the iMac as thats what Sasha bought)

Apple care is $169 for the iMac. Not much compared to the $1199(or higher depending on Model) you paid. Just think If you need service just ONCE out of the 1 year warranty AppleCare pays for itself. Heck the LCD panel in the new iMacs is over $400 to have replaced if you are out of the one year warranty

Now having said that I would not buy AppleCare for any of the iPods or the iPhone in that case its just not worth it.

And Another thought. Unlike other Computer Manufactures, Apple does not require you to buy AppleCare at the time of purchase. You can buy it anytime within one year of the Purchase date.

My Personal Opinion: I Buy it on All of My Macs. So far the only problem I have had is My iBooks battery only held about a 30 min charge after 2 years (Li-Ion batteries wear out ya know), since the battery is covered I got a free replacement battery.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2007, 06:28:21 AM »
Yes, yes I completely understand your point Kyle. And it's always good to have it, but I was just saying it is not a must, you don't have to take it if you don't want it. They won't force you.

I paid $1599 CAD for my 20-inch 2.4 GHz model, plus taxes (GST/HST, PST/QST) total came to $1822 CAD. AppleCare would be a little more expensive than for basic model I guess...

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2007, 06:36:01 AM »
No its not a Must. And once again You can buy it anytime within one year of the Purchase date of your Mac if you have a change of heart.

Sasha,
AppleCare for ANY iMac model is $169 (US Dollars, dont know about Canada)