Author Topic: Error when scanning.  (Read 11625 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Error when scanning.
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2007, 09:32:39 PM »
OK, the last image says it all ;)
In the Area selection dialog, you've checked the "Logitech QuickCam" item (which is probably some kind of a virtual folder for the operating system). For some reason (unknown to me right now), it produces this strange path... which avast! is unable to scan later, when you start the scan - because this path is completely wrong.

So, the "fix" is very simple - don't check the QuickCam "folder", it doesn't have much sense.

Aidendale

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2007, 02:56:30 AM »
Thats more like Avoiding the problem more so then a fix.
Should I remove the installation of the quickcam and just reinstall it? or would that just have more negitive effect?

Actually I was told I should use Hijackthis but seeing as I couldnt figure out the basic problem I dont see how using a program I wouldnt understand could help me either lol.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 03:05:01 AM by Aidendale »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2007, 03:12:32 AM »
Me too...
I can use virtual folders (drivers for CD or DVD for instance) and avast can scan them... what's wrong Igor?

Should I remove the installation of the quickcam and just reinstall it? or would that just have more negitive effect?
I don't think so, as the virtual folder seems to be the way the quickcam works, but you could test, for sure...
The best things in life are free.

Offline Maxx_original

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2007, 09:41:26 AM »
guys, we can't simply reproduce the error, but Igor got the idea what's the point of the virtual folder disinterpretation... we're thinking about some changes (offering of these folders is useles in BrowseForFolder dialog), but the code is written to support also 9x windows and we must take care about their specifics.. so we can't make some quick-patch... but we'll fix that..

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2007, 10:05:31 AM »
Me too...
I can use virtual folders (drivers for CD or DVD for instance) and avast can scan them... what's wrong Igor?

What exactly do you mean by virtual folders? I mean, how you access them from Windows? What path does avast! put into the BrowseForFolder box when you check them?

Scanning CDs or DVDs certainly has some sense - but I'm not sure what's "inside" of the WebCam folder...?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2007, 01:23:17 AM »
Scanning CDs or DVDs certainly has some sense - but I'm not sure what's "inside" of the WebCam folder...?
Sorry Igor... I was talking about 'virtual' CD/DVD drivers not exactly virtual 'folders'.
I don't know how a WebCam folder works so... I could only guess it was similar. Sorry for the confusion.
The best things in life are free.

Aidendale

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2007, 07:00:07 PM »
I want to say this before more questions ring up.
Its not fixed yet but I want to thank you all for your help that you have provided so far and will :)