Author Topic: A surprise from Comodo today!  (Read 10783 times)

drhayden1

Re: A surprise from Comodo today!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2007, 11:43:21 AM »
Well somebody has to give it a whirl
nay keith-have had enough whirling problems of past giving things a try-will wait ::) ;D

« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 11:45:03 AM by drhayden1 »

justin1278

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2007, 04:48:56 PM »
Justin,

Great ;D :o....... great to see Comodo firewall backup option in the latest version, do you have a rough idea when will the final version to be release.

Hello SpeedyPC,

Sorry I don't have a date, maybe around September was the last I heard. When/if the moderators on the Comodo Forum are given the release date we may or may not be allowed to tell anyone about it, so I will keep you up to date with what I can say.

Justin

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2007, 12:12:50 AM »
Without a way to keep the old settings, you'll have to start all over again when you install version 3.

Not a very smooth upgrade IMHO. It also means you'll start all over again with all the nagging questions.

There has to be a better way.... :(
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2007, 12:47:36 AM »
Why don't you try exporting the registry key with the settings and importing it after upgrading to version 3?

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo]
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2007, 01:28:05 AM »
My firewall Outpost pro has configuration files which you can export (or copy) are there no configuration settings or file that you can copy or export.

It really is very useful if you have to reinstall your firewall which I had to do last week when I did a clean install rather than using the update function. I had been putting off the update as there had been a couple of interim updates causing issues so I had skipped them until I felt there was a stable updated version released.

Does Comodo firewall not have an ini file ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2007, 03:17:27 AM »
Does Comodo firewall not have an ini file ?
No. The info is saved on the Registry.
New version has an automated feature to do that, which was missed a lot in version 2.

justin1278

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2007, 06:02:20 AM »
Without a way to keep the old settings, you'll have to start all over again when you install version 3.

Not a very smooth upgrade IMHO. It also means you'll start all over again with all the nagging questions.

Don't hold me to this, but if you download and install the new version from the updater when it is released then it should keep your rules.

mauserme

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2007, 03:27:19 PM »
I've always been ambivalent about HIPS and this feature in this verson of Comodo is no exception for me.   Not that there's anything wrong with the way it functions - but I chose to turn that off.

And the firewall itself has been working flawlessly for two days.

EDIT:  spelling
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 03:58:46 PM by mauserme »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2007, 03:34:19 PM »
I think that with HIPS or HIPS style features, there will be those who swear by it and those that swear at it.

It can be a real boost to security but some are so noisy constantly popping up a dialogue window asking the user to decide about this and that when many of the users simply hasn't a clue what they are being asked. The trick is getting the balance right so that it doesn't have a major impact on the normal use of your system.

I too up to date have chosen to avoid HIPS programs on my system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2007, 03:52:40 PM »
I've tried ProcessGuard, System Safety Monitor, Prevx (when it's a freeware) and Cyberhawk.
I could only stay with the HIPS features (very few) from WinPatrol.

mauserme

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2007, 04:00:55 PM »
I'm still with WinPatrol too.

Other HIPS look much deeper than WinPatrol, of course, but there's a lot to be said for keeping life simple imo.

drhayden1

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2007, 04:14:59 PM »
also will stick with scooty the dog "winpatrol"

'