Author Topic: newbie and slightly confused  (Read 7620 times)

Offline fluffyscruffy

• Fluffy-Scruffy
newbie and slightly confused
« on: August 11, 2007, 07:01:13 AM »
hi,
i have the mac-beta version of avast! and i'm quite new to the program.
my friend has avast! on his windows machine and that seems quite happy doing it's own thing.
my version found a whole heap of files that it gave the warning err 13 to, which it says means permission denied.
is it saying this because i've done something to not allow it permission to these files, or is it not supposed to have permission to them?

the other thing that confused me was that it listed my macintosh hd as being err 5, input/output error. i don't know what this means.

is there anything i can do to stop it giving me so many warnings?

*sorry, if these sound like stupid questions*
*hamster of doom*

Offline vendion

• Strong Linux Supporter
Re: newbie and slightly confused
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 03:33:10 AM »
Are you running it as a normal user or as the system admin account on your mac?  If your running it from a normal user account that could be the reason why you are getting so many errors when you run avast.  I don't know my way around a mac to well, been years sense I last used one, so I don't know what mac calls the admin account.

Offline fluffyscruffy

• Fluffy-Scruffy
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 05:24:55 PM »
the only user account i have set up on the machine is the admin account, since i'm the only user.
this is why i don't understand how come my av doesn't have permission to stuff i want it to scan  :(
*hamster of doom*

Offline vendion

• Strong Linux Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 08:35:29 PM »
Thats considered as a safety no no for any OS, it is best to use a user account unless you absolutely need Admin rights, but it is your computer, and as I said not using a mac in a long time I have no clue why its not doing that, it could just be that those files are system files and could be in use during the time of your scan.  Thats about as much as I can tell you about this, sorry if it isn't much I'm more of a Linux person...