Author Topic: Virus in Temp Running As Service?  (Read 2847 times)

Larandor

Virus in Temp Running As Service?
« on: August 15, 2007, 01:21:22 PM »
Hi,
        I was checking through my services list in administrative services and I came across a most odd service, listed as CYWMNX with no description, pointed at an exe file of the same name within the temp folder.

Now this isn't the first time I've had problems with strange files turning up in the temp folder and running as a service, but I've done a reformat after each instance, and each time I can never think of any way in which they could have got there.

I've done a spyware scan and found nothing, and am now about to do an antivirus scan. Unfortunatly I cannot scan the file in question since it no longer seems to be present in the temp folder and I cannot find any information on this file as to whether it's a virus.

Should I be concerned it could have done something to my system or installed something? I've yet to find anything and I'd like to think I maintain good security practices (anti-spyware scans, anti-virus scans etc.) However I'm highly suspicious of a brand new service running from the temp folder with no description, yet I can find no information on this particular file.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Virus in Temp Running As Service?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 02:32:39 PM »
I was checking through my services list in administrative services and I came across a most odd service, listed as CYWMNX with no description, pointed at an exe file of the same name within the temp folder.
Use WinPatrol to monitor startup, services, etc. A very good companion to avast. It's free and very low on resources usage.

I've done a spyware scan and found nothing
Which programs do you use?

However I'm highly suspicious of a brand new service running from the temp folder with no description, yet I can find no information on this particular file.
It's very very suspicious... it's most probably a sign of infection.
The best things in life are free.

CharleyO

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 07:35:36 PM »

Are you, by chance, using a wireless service of some type?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 03:43:51 AM »
Charley, I'm curious... which wireless service will be installed in a temporary folder?
The best things in life are free.

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 03:59:13 AM »

Charley, I'm curious... which wireless service will be installed in a temporary folder?

None that I know of, Tech, but I am no expert on wireless services and ......

Quote from: Larandor on Yesterday at 11:21:22 AM

...... indicates to me that the service he originally noticed might not be only be in a temp folder but also somewhere else on that computer. I wonder if Larandor has done a search on that computer for other incidences  of CYWMNX. From a Google search, I noticed similar executables associated with various wireless services.

Hopefully, Larandor will post again soon to answer our questions.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 04:01:05 AM by CharleyO »