Author Topic: unable to scan  (Read 1889 times)

Paulago7

unable to scan
« on: August 12, 2007, 07:40:06 AM »
I had to get a new registration number and now whenever I try to scan it says unable to scan archive is password protected. Every file on the whole computer is password protected. The computer has slowed down since I had to get the new registration.  I do believe that now I may have a virus or something because I don't think the computer is being protected. It runs slow on every site except this one. For some reason this site seems to run normally.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: unable to scan
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 05:46:45 PM »
avast can't scan files that are password protected, it doesn't know the password.
There are many legitimate reasons why a file was password protected. For instance, the ones you're talking about. Lavasoft stores its data in a password-protected ZIP archives (to prevent other similar tools from messing up with them). It's really nothing to worry about - it's normal.

In AdAware and S&D, when you fix/remove things it keeps backup/recovery information so you can restore anything that was mistakenly fixed/removed, etc. After a reasonable time your system has suffered no adverse effects, you can get rid of the older recovery/backup points.

This should reduce the number of protected files.

Can you post the report (in parts if needed) here?
The best things in life are free.