Author Topic: DCOM exploit messages  (Read 14480 times)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: DCOM exploit messages
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 05:59:27 AM »
After 24 hours of waiting in vain for someone to try to try a DCOM exploit on my system.  I then tried a service that allows me to deliberately provoke an attack.  It turns out that in my fully up to date Win XP SP3 system avast never gets to see the exploit.     

sharon_brownlie

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 12:38:31 PM »
After 24 hours of waiting in vain for someone to try to try a DCOM exploit on my system.  I then tried a service that allows me to deliberately provoke an attack.  It turns out that in my fully up to date Win XP SP3 system avast never gets to see the exploit.     

Glad to hear it! I need to resolve the issue of installing Win SP3, hopefully microsoft will come up trumps, but its been over a month and they still can't advise me!! For now I will use my Vista and stay safe! Has any one else had problems downloading Win XP SP3?

GrizeBar

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 11:05:33 PM »
If you don't need the service, you can safely close down Port 135 with no ill effects to your system.

Avaster

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 11:37:54 PM »
If you don't need the service, you can safely close down Port 135 with no ill effects to your system.

I use an utility called 'Windows Worm Door Cleaner' to completely close port 135 (DCOM). You can close some other pesky ports with it too. But don't close netbios one with this utility, because you can lose your internet connection.

http://www.firewallleaktester.com/wwdc.htm
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 11:42:55 PM by Avaster »