Author Topic: adjusting the level of protection.  (Read 2903 times)

black_moon

adjusting the level of protection.
« on: August 12, 2007, 09:30:21 PM »
the default protection level for all provider (standard shield, web shield) is between normal and high. what if i set it to a high level of protection? would it make a difference? more secured? or avast will just consume more memory and slow down my PC?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: adjusting the level of protection.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 09:47:42 PM »
The sensitivity slider should normally be on Normal and not between two options.

Does the display look like this (see image), if so click the Details... >> button and you will see a detailed view where you can change the sensitivity for individual providers. Increasing the sensitivity basically scans more files so depending on your system spec, it may or may not have any performance impact.

The avast defaults of 'Normal' provide a good balance between Performance and Protection. I have the Web Shield and Internet Mail providers set to High with no adverse effect on my system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 09:49:52 PM »
Help files have all this information:

Standard Shield checks the programs you start and the files you access. It will not allow an infected program to be started - so, the virus code cannot be activated.
Normal. Default setting.
High. In addition to the default setting, created and modified files will be scanned as well.

Outlook/Exchange - Provider Settings
This setting affects MS Outlook and MS Exchange mail clients only. For setting up the other mail clients, such as Outlook Express, Eudora etc., see Internet Mail Provider.
Normal. Default setting.
High. In addition to the default setting, even read messages are scanned on open and the heuristic sensitivity is set to High.

Internet Mail - Provider Settings
Internet Mail provider is used to protect the e-mail processed by other mail clients than MS Outlook or MS Exchange.
Normal. Default setting.
High. The heuristic sensitivity is set to High. 

Script Blocking, Instant Messaging, P2P Shield and Network Shield
Normal. The setting does not have any meaning for this provider.
High. The setting does not have any meaning for this provider.

I haven't found info for Web Shield.

The computer will use more resources at High level. Normal is the best balance as David said.
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 06:56:12 AM »
C'mon Tech ... the High setting in Internet Mail is essential if you want the Internet Mail provider to detect a spambot infection - at Normal avast just helps spambots do their work

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 03:14:48 PM »
I wouldn't go so far as to say that when the Internet Mail provider is set on Normal, avast 'helps' spambots do their work, but it certainly doesn't hinder it.

Those who are observant may notice the email icon and avast icon rotating in the system try and wonder what it is and investigate, but that is too subtle for most users.

I think that the multiple emails in a time period check should be included in the Normal (default) settings as it almost certainly indicates an undetected trojan spambot has slipped past avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 03:57:27 AM »
C'mon Tech ... the High setting in Internet Mail is essential if you want the Internet Mail provider to detect a spambot infection - at Normal avast just helps spambots do their work
I have mine at High..., better, High + Custom settings.
Just post that Normal is the default level, even for Internet Mail provider.
The best things in life are free.