Author Topic: UPS Shutdown  (Read 7815 times)

Adf

UPS Shutdown
« on: September 03, 2007, 11:55:22 AM »
Hello,
Our SBS server is on an APC Smart UPS with powerchute software which will initiate shutdown in event of power failure.

I have been advised to run a command file before shutdown to end the various Exchange services safely.

Does anyone know if I can be sure that Avast will close cleanly when the OS is shutdown or is it advisable to include additional commands to stop the Avast services (and if so which ones?)

I see the following services
avast! Antivirus
avast! iAVS4 Control Service
avast! iAVS4 Mirror HTTP Server
avast! Mail Scanner
avast! Management Server
avast! Web Scanner
MSSQL$AVAST

Any Advice much appreciated!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: UPS Shutdown
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 05:18:30 PM »
All the avast services should shut down cleanly.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Adf

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 05:34:36 PM »
Many thanks.
I'm made nervous by the fact that APC seem to say their 'Deluxe' software version is needed to close applications like exchange and SQL Server.
I guess I have to give it a try sometime!

rdfeij

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 02:00:26 PM »
Many thanks.
I'm made nervous by the fact that APC seem to say their 'Deluxe' software version is needed to close applications like exchange and SQL Server.
I guess I have to give it a try sometime!

De APC software is indeed capable of shutting down SQL services..
But it only shuts down the services (Not the whole server), By shuttting down these services ons heavy loaded machines, disk usage etc goes down, and the APC can hold up the server longer...

Then on low batt of the ups it shuts down the whole server. (just like you shut it down in Windows OS) and thus first shutting down al services and then shutting down Windows OS