Author Topic: Question regarding Windows Live Messenger  (Read 8759 times)

Voldemort

Question regarding Windows Live Messenger
« on: August 12, 2007, 02:47:06 AM »
Which program do you select so that Avast! will be my default file virus scanner on Windows Live Messenger?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Question regarding Windows Live Messenger
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 04:16:43 AM »
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe
generally without arguments. Welcome to avast forums! 8)
The best things in life are free.

sanctuary24

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 04:13:06 PM »
Will it scan without selecting it in Messengers options or do you have to specify it as the default scanner?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 04:25:07 PM »
Will it scan without selecting it in Messengers options or do you have to specify it as the default scanner?
If you set avast IM provider to scan Messenger, you don't 'have to' specify it. But, of course, a second protection of the downloaded files is not bad.

sanctuary24

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 04:34:07 PM »
So I only need to do one or selecting as the default scanner does a different function than not selecting it?, sorry I'm a bit confused

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 04:42:26 PM »
So I only need to do one or selecting as the default scanner does a different function than not selecting it?, sorry I'm a bit confused
Select the Messenger into the IM provider would do the job. You only need this.
The second, the specific setting into Messenger, is a second protection level, not necessary. But, as I've said, it won't harm. So, do the two option, let avast IM provider running and set ashQuick.exe into Messenger settings. If you feel uncomfortable (too much scannings...), well, remove the ashQuick.exe setting from Messenger.

sanctuary24

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 04:46:00 PM »
Thanks mate for the quick response, just to double check, as long as it is set to scan messenger under the resident shield in avast it will scan incoming files?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 05:40:56 PM »
As long as it is set to scan messenger under the resident shield in avast it will scan incoming files?
Yes, this is how it works.

stevey

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 09:10:35 PM »
As long as it is set to scan messenger under the resident shield in avast it will scan incoming files?
Yes, this is how it works.

I am not sure if I have understood the replies correctly.

Am I right in thinking I don't have to put 'ashQuick.exe' in the windows messenger box where it says: Scan files for viruses using: (I can just leave it blank, right?)

And am I right in thinking that so long as the avast instant messenger provider is running it will scan windows live messenger files automatically?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 09:31:35 PM »
Because there aren't many AV applications like avast that have a specific provider to monitor and scan IM applications many like windows live messenger give the user the option to have your AV scan the file on download.

So provided the avast Instant Messaging provider is scanning your IM you don't need ashQuick.exe to scan it, but there is nothing to stop you putting it in anyway it won't hurt and it provides a second check.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 09:50:50 PM »
Am I right in thinking I don't have to put 'ashQuick.exe' in the windows messenger box where it says: Scan files for viruses using: (I can just leave it blank, right?)
If you use IM provider you can leave that blank.

And am I right in thinking that so long as the avast instant messenger provider is running it will scan windows live messenger files automatically?
Yes.

stevey

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 11:01:57 PM »
Ok chaps, thanks for clearing that up for me :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2007, 11:44:57 PM »
No problem, welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security