Author Topic: NEW tip for USB keyboard/BOOT time scan???  (Read 3488 times)

al2

NEW tip for USB keyboard/BOOT time scan???
« on: August 13, 2007, 06:25:01 PM »
Hi!

As the owner of recent (end of '06) DELL(with XPMce OS)  ps/2 kbs are not an option since there are NO ps/2 connections on my model in the first place! (just like there are no IDE mobo sockets - well except for the power switch cable!! - certainly makes for a tidier,downsized, air flow friendly system that is easier/quicker to connect/disconnect if nothing else in practical terms).

The boot time scan is personally very appealing (more convenient than setting up scanning the HDD as a mass storage device or setting up avast in another active partition to scan  the other OS part. of a double etc boot system when its not booted/inactive).So i put in some effort to see if i could find a solution.

All the ideas and tips i found in this forum didn't provide me with a direct answer but after lots of experimenting, i remembered from certain PC activities (OS install + usb mass storage device/external hdd error free connection when using ACRONIS TI (linux based) boot disc) about how removing as many USB connections as possible reduced chance of interference/improved efficient connection of lone USB device.

So i disconnected all USB devices EXCEPT KBoard from the comp. and after  all the previous completely failed trys this WORKED PERFECTLY. However of note the USB keyboard was still unresponsive/dead at cancelling any pre-load up CHKDSKs.

Since DELL's mobos are proprietry even if this isn't a repeated idea it might limit its potential success even more but i thought it was worth reporting , especially as its easy to try.

Thanks for all the info and tips that i read, i doubt i would have had the idea of trying disconnecting other USB devices without assimilating it all.

Al

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: NEW tip for USB keyboard/BOOT time scan???
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 03:49:59 AM »
Thanks for posting...
Am I reading correctly that if you let only the USB keyboard connected, it works at boot time scanning?
Is your USB access allowed into the BIOS settings?
The best things in life are free.

al2

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 02:53:41 AM »
Thanks for posting...
Am I reading correctly that if you let only the USB keyboard connected, it works at boot time scanning?
Is your USB access allowed into the BIOS settings?

Sorry for the belated follow up, got side tracked with something;

Yes, for my personal setup, JUST conecting the USB keyboard was the only way i found that worked. I am scientific in education,in mind and in life (naturally to the extent its valuable) - so  as usual i tried to check this out as fairly and thoroughly as i could to be sure i wasn't mistaken or mixed up etc.As i mentioned i remembered from past PC experience/knowledge that, in practice at least, this phenomina is evidenced.

Finally yes my BIOS is fully accessable by my USB keyboard as is booting up to double boot choice of OS....but when it comes to cancelling a pre dsktop loadup CHKDSK only very rarely and seemingly randomly does it seem to work.....
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 02:55:19 AM by al2 »

al2

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 03:44:20 AM »
Earlier today 'i installed' the latest (4.7.1043) build program update + i wanted to check if the boot scan still worked for me. Initially i didn't remove any other USB connections - expecting to have to restart when the keyboard failed to respond pressing "escape" - but surprised to find IT DID ABORT THE BOOT scan ;D.
Scheduled another boot scan and my USB keyboard responded perfectly when choice of actions requested w/o  the need to disconect numerous attached USB devices.
I guess its too much of a coincidence for the program update not to be the cause of this, but then again it might not. Supose it will more conclusive if others experience the same thing......

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 03:21:50 PM »
I don't think it is connected as there is nothing in the program update history (change log) related to this.
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-4-home_pro-revision-history.html
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security