Author Topic: Possible keyboard malware?????  (Read 934 times)

Offline pressplay94

Possible keyboard malware?????
« on: August 26, 2021, 05:16:54 PM »
Hi experts, I've got a niche query..

Before I used this keyboard, the Avast Boot-time scan would complete and have a report ready after the restart.. but after I plugged this keyboard in, it won't complete the scans.

I bought a new wired mechanical keyboard (w/ LED) from Amazon and plugged it into my laptop. It started acting a bit weird so I checked in device manager and saw that there was 3 keyboard drivers registered in the system, I updated them and no issues. 1st one is for the laptop's built-in keyboard and the 2nd is for the new mechanical keyboard, but the 3rd one can be uninstalled and it doesn't effect the other two's performance.

Then I quickly ran some scans with Avast, Malwarebytes and Kaspersky's tdsskiller but nothing was detected. I even went into safe mode and ran a few scans and nothing showed up.

About 5 hours later, I get a notification from Malwarebytes stating they've blocked a website. So I tried to run an Avast Boot-time scan as well but it won't complete the scan and my laptop just restarts.

Is it possible a malicious malware was run from the keyboard driver into the laptop's rootkit? Why can't Avast complete the Boot-Time Scan like before?

I really appreciate your help. Many thanks.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Possible keyboard malware?????
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 04:43:13 PM »
Hi,

Can you run it in Safe Mode?
Please see this guide:
https://support.avast.com/article/Antivirus-Boot-time-Scan-Safe-Mode/