Author Topic: Avast stops startup programs... I think  (Read 13478 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast stops startup programs... I think
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 04:25:50 PM »
The fact that avast is the only icon on the system tray doesn't mean it is avast at fault as I said this is a common XP issue and not one associated with avast otherwise it would be all over the forums. Do a forum search for missing icons and you will see it is usually the avast icons that are getting killed and not the other way round.

You also have an application that may or may not have an impact.
Located: HK_LM:Run, SigmatelSysTrayApp (DISABLED)
command: sttray.exe
   file: C:\WINDOWS\sttray.exe
   size: 282624
    MD5: 6B6B6135A972F09ADB4B12702FB8E0E5

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/sttray.exe-6215.html
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Epsi

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 04:47:21 PM »

You also have an application that may or may not have an impact.
Located: HK_LM:Run, SigmatelSysTrayApp (DISABLED)
command: sttray.exe
   file: C:\WINDOWS\sttray.exe
   size: 282624
    MD5: 6B6B6135A972F09ADB4B12702FB8E0E5

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/sttray.exe-6215.html

your kidding right. See the (DISABLED) next to it, that means it's on the startup list, but disabled.
Far as I can remember thats my onboard soundcards crap, that Is disabled. I have a Creative sound card installed.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 04:58:50 PM »
I already posted my statup list.
Well... there are quite some programs that could be delayed with Startup Delayer.
This freeware controls the windows startup that does not follow a strict order.
Epsi... try it, you won't regret.
The best things in life are free.

Epsi

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 05:31:31 PM »
I did... I tryed everything... im all the more thinking its windows. Thanks for the help guys.

But it seems this more a windows xp problem than an Avast related one.

I'll try some more stuff, see where it gets me.

Jem

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 09:53:36 PM »
I have something here that you might like to try. I've had issues with Avast throwing up update errors and I've tried the edited avast4.ini file as described in this thread. Although that seemed to work, I also have issues with any AV program and some of my start-up programs when I log off / on like you - I also run XP.  Startup Delayer as mentioned above is a good program but unfortunately, it puts all your startup programs into some kind of 'box' which, even if you aren't delaying a particular program with Startup Delayer, can play havoc with certain startup parameters that some programs use. Thus I couldn't, for example, use Startup Delayer to simply delay Avast without causing an issue with two other programs for the reason I described.

Anyway, I went searching for a simple command line tool which would allow me to specify just one program to delay, without touching anything else at all. I found this: http://www.cottonwoodsw.com/dlyrsumm.html. I've manually created an entry in 'Registry - Machine Run' with this command line: "C:\Program Files\delayer11\Delayer.exe" "C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe" /d10 /h Delayer is just one executable, requires no install, and works by command line only pointing at the Delayer exe location, followed by the location of the app you want to delay, followed by the delay switch (in my case 10 seconds), followed by a switch to hide Delayer itself. Basically it works - Avast is the last thing to appear on my taskbar (I have 9 taskbar apps), and I can log off / on as rapidly as I wish with no problems caused with the other apps / taskbar icons. As a bonus, I expect it to overcome the update issue I was having as well, as my network connection is established and my 'cleanup' program (CCleaner) has finished by the time Avast kicks in.

All this sounds complex, but in fact is very simple to do, plus 'Delayer' is free. If you need a tool to help add a new Startup entry in Windows, I would suggest this: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/starter.html. I'd also like to suggest to Alwil, that they consider adding a 'built in' delay option that will offer a more configurable startup delay (..say, in seconds...) rather than just "...after other system services'. This would give users complete flexibility if needed to avoid the 'various' startup issues that people have from time to time.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2007, 03:39:02 AM »
But unfortunately, it puts all your startup programs into some kind of 'box' which, even if you aren't delaying a particular program with Startup Delayer
Only the programs you've installed before StartupDelayer and even these ones could be restored to the original place, no trouble.

Anyway, I went searching for a simple command line tool which would allow me to specify just one program to delay, without touching anything else at all.
Startup Delayer could do it. No problem.

Avast is the last thing to appear on my taskbar (I have 9 taskbar apps), and I can log off / on as rapidly as I wish with no problems caused with the other apps / taskbar icons.
avast icon does NOT mess any system tray icon... other thing could mess it, not avast icon, for sure.

If you need a tool to help add a new Startup entry in Windows, I would suggest this: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/starter.html.
I've tested in the past... I can't remember why I've stopped to recommend this tool, something was wrong but I can't remember.

Thanks for posting about Delayer. We love freewares 8)
The best things in life are free.

Jem

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2007, 11:13:36 AM »
But unfortunately, it puts all your startup programs into some kind of 'box' which, even if you aren't delaying a particular program with Startup Delayer
Only the programs you've installed before StartupDelayer and even these ones could be restored to the original place, no trouble.

Umm, Tech for most people that will be all of them. And, l question that apps can be properly restored. I know Startup Delayer uses that term and you can remove the delay, but even this action still keeps the app in the 'box', and some apps do NOT like that. Two of my apps fail to start correctly because Startup Delayer does not handle them correctly, even with NO delay. I cannot see how to make Startup Delayer leave an app alone completely -  and I have done extensive testing with Startup Delayer since r2studios released it years ago. So I disagree. Make sure you are using the latest version.

Anyway, I went searching for a simple command line tool which would allow me to specify just one program to delay, without touching anything else at all.
Startup Delayer could do it. No problem.

Like how?...Bearing in mind what I said above. If you want a delayer that handles the 'job' well, without 'interfering' with the way an app starts use this: http://www.joejoesoft.com/vcms/113/. It's also free.

Avast is the last thing to appear on my taskbar (I have 9 taskbar apps), and I can log off / on as rapidly as I wish with no problems caused with the other apps / taskbar icons.
avast icon does NOT mess any system tray icon... other thing could mess it, not avast icon, for sure.

How can you possibly be so sure? I am not slagging off Avast here - in my experiences with NOD32, Kaspersky and now Avast, it seems that the loading of an AV tool at startup can, in some way, under some circumstances, interfere with the smooth startup of other apps. What combination of that, plus the clumsy way Windows does it anyway, is responsible for what exactly, I can't be sure. We already know that the Avast update procedure can cause some people problems - several have had to try 'tweaking' avast4.ini to overcome that (including me), so how can you say Avast doesn't 'mess' with anything. I wouldn't have put it that way, but clearly there are issues as Vlk himself has confirmed.

Edit: Incidentally, I'm not actually saying that the Avast 'icon' messes with anything...

If you need a tool to help add a new Startup entry in Windows, I would suggest this: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/starter.html.
I've tested in the past... I can't remember why I've stopped to recommend this tool, something was wrong but I can't remember.

Make sure you have the latest version 5.6.2.8, which includes many improvements and fixes. Starter is an excellent tool, has worked for me for years. If you can remember what the problem is / was, I may be able to help or shed some light on it. Starter gets good reviews now.

There are people in this forum, and specifically Epsi in this thread, who have startup issues. So, as I've had similar experiences, I'm trying to solve them for myself in a practical way and share those experiences - that's all. In fact I'm now using 'StartRight' since last night (the link I gave you above) which does a similar job to Startup Delayer. Results so far are that everything loads as it should using the default settings in StartRight, and I get no failures even if I log off / on rapidly. It's worth trying. Windows startup problems plague many people it seems, which is why there are all these handy utilities available on the web - and there are so many of them addressing startup issues. That tells us what an ongoing issue this is, regardless of how good an application otherwise might be.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 12:24:39 PM by Jem »

Epsi

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2007, 01:30:05 PM »
... guys calm down... really this is not a cock fight, go to jerry springer if you want to fight. after lots of testing i figured out its windows xp. so please mods close this thread. before these guys start throwing each other with chairs.

Jem

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2007, 01:50:23 PM »
... guys calm down... really this is not a cock fight, go to jerry springer if you want to fight. after lots of testing i figured out its windows xp. so please mods close this thread. before these guys start throwing each other with chairs.

I'm quite calm thanks. If, when you try to do some careful investigation, report back whilst trying to be helpful and get the kind of reply I did then I simply won't bother again.

I agree, on balance it's an XP startup issue - which is why I suggest you try the two tools I've highlighted as they both solved similar issues for me that you've experienced. So far, StartRight is doing a good job with all my startup apps.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 01:52:11 PM by Jem »

Epsi

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2007, 02:35:11 PM »
Ok... This is going to far... getting emails from you guys now. Stop stalking me...

You have just been sent a personal message by Jem on avast!WEBforum.

IMPORTANT: Remember, this is just a notification. Please do not reply to this email.

The message they sent you was:

Hi there,

If you're checking my last post (I can see you're on line!) you might want to look at this too: http://www.joejoesoft.com/vcms/113/ Product called 'Startright'. Bit more elegant than 'Delayer'

I just tried it. You basically leave all your start-ups as they would be by default, install Startright and let it take over. So far...it damn well works! Much, much better than Startup Delayer...see what you think. It's also free. ;D

Reply to this Personal Message here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;f=inbox;pmsg=33121;quote;u=25445

thanks. but just stop it now. there's a line... and thats just crossing it.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2007, 02:52:14 PM »
They are not emailing you but using forum IM/PM function and the forum software notifies you of the Personal Message. They don't know your email.

You can change your Notifications and email, Personal Message Options/settings in your profile, not to contain the PM contents in the notification email, etc. I can only assume that the PM was sent to offer help outside of the glare of the public forum.

You seem to have misinterpreted a discussion as some kind of fight and that clearly isn't the case. In their discussions ultimately the only thing on their mind is how they can best 'help you' IMHO.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Epsi

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2007, 03:41:00 PM »
... OK... I get they want to help me. but like 5 posts ago I said thank you. not an avast problem. windows xp problem.

And still they insist on "helping" me by nameing programs that I dout has anything to do with th problem.

Again. Thank you. All of you. I have been helped. No help me any more.

OK?

Jem

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2007, 05:07:45 PM »
They are not emailing you but using forum IM/PM function and the forum software notifies you of the Personal Message. They don't know your email.

You can change your Notifications and email, Personal Message Options/settings in your profile, not to contain the PM contents in the notification email, etc. I can only assume that the PM was sent to offer help outside of the glare of the public forum.

You seem to have misinterpreted a discussion as some kind of fight and that clearly isn't the case. In their discussions ultimately the only thing on their mind is how they can best 'help you' IMHO.

Thanks for that David.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2007, 05:22:09 PM »
... OK... I get they want to help me. but like 5 posts ago I said thank you. not an avast problem. windows xp problem.

And still they insist on "helping" me by nameing programs that I dout has anything to do with th problem.

Again. Thank you. All of you. I have been helped. No help me any more.

OK?

Even though this is most certainly a windows problem, those programs may well have an effect and improve the situation, but if you don't want to be helped further that is your choice.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2007, 05:27:13 PM »
Thanks for that David.

Your welcome, I just though that there was no fight or stalking going on in the avast forums, one of the friendliest and most helpful support forum that I have come across. People can have discussions/difference of opinion without it becoming hostile, although that may happen on occasion it is the exception rather than the rule.