Author Topic: email & tiscali  (Read 16102 times)

techie101

Re:email & tiscali
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2004, 12:48:18 AM »
I wonder what's so special about Tiscali...

Vlk,

It really doesn't matter whether it is the free or pay Tiscali.
Tiscali UK is tricky to configure with Avast.

Firstly, it does not simply use a short form "username".  The username is the full email address apended by the #pop.tiscali.co.uk or #smtp.tiscali.co.uk respectively.

Secondly, configuration of the SMTP server login depends on whether SMTP authentication was ON or OFF when Avast was installed.
which means that "username@tiscali.co.uk#smtp.tiscali.co.uk
or simply "#smtp.tiscali.co.uk" might be the correct format to use.

If the user followed the manual configuration instructions as per the example provided and eliminated the correct username format, then the MPW would configure
Avast to "username@tiscali.co.uk#127.0.0.1"

The MPW could add #127.0.0.1 only if the user had deleted #popserver string from their username. If they had previously checked 'Automatically protect all accounts that I create in the future', then avast periodically sets the protection to all accounts that it finds. Thus if the account is set like
POP server: 127.0.0.1
username: NAME
Avast considers the account as unprotected and modifies it to POP server: 127.0.0.1
username: NAME#127.0.0.1
after this periodical search, which is wrong.

...........................................................Quoted from Vojtech

This has been the problem in the past and I have been in contact with Vojtech about this.  My suggestion would be to re-write the manual configuration instructions and clarify the relevant section.

Hope this helps everyone.

techie
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 12:57:32 AM by techie101 »

clanger

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2004, 01:55:41 AM »
So if I changed the line where it says user@tiscali.co.uk#pop3.tiscali.co.uk to user@tiscali.co.uk#127.0.0.1 it would solve all my problems or, have I got the wrong end of the stick. ???

techie101

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2004, 06:07:24 AM »
clanger,

I don't know if it will solve your problem without going it to more research.

But, if you check your OE settings, the Incoming Mail Server (Pop) name should be "username@tiscali.co.uk#pop.tiscali.co.uk" and the Outgoing Mail Server (Smtp) name MIGHT work with one of these formats:

SMTP authentication must be set to "on" in the OE/Tools/Accounts/Properties/Servers menu.

1.  "username@tiscali.co.uk#smtp.tiscali.co.uk"
or
2.  "#smtp.tiscali.co.uk

If these do not fix things, then we will need to do more Q and A.

techie

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2004, 07:03:22 AM »
So if I changed the line where it says user@tiscali.co.uk#pop3.tiscali.co.uk to user@tiscali.co.uk#127.0.0.1 it would solve all my problems

No, absolutely not. This setting is wrong that's vojtech was trying to say. The only way it can work is username#realpopserver.

Firstly, it does not simply use a short form "username".  The username is the full email address apended by the #pop.tiscali.co.uk or #smtp.tiscali.co.uk respectively.

There should be no difference - there are no special checks for @'s or .'s...

Secondly, configuration of the SMTP server login depends on whether SMTP authentication was ON or OFF when Avast was installed.
which means that "username@tiscali.co.uk#smtp.tiscali.co.uk
or simply "#smtp.tiscali.co.uk" might be the correct format to use.

Well that's trues but that's the case with any ISP (not only Tiscali), isn't it?

If the user followed the manual configuration instructions as per the example provided and eliminated the correct username format, then the MPW would configure
Avast to "username@tiscali.co.uk#127.0.0.1"

Hmm, that seems like a bug we should fix... I was not aware of that. I wonder how the MPW is detecting whether an account is 'covered' or not... I'll have this checked.

clanger, have you checked the 'Automatically protect all accounts that I create in the future' box in the Mail Protection Wiz?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

techie101

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2004, 05:09:05 PM »
No, absolutely not. This setting is wrong that's vojtech was trying to say. The only way it can work is username#realpopserver

Then again, as I have said.  It depends on WHEN the Smtp authentication was set to ON.

There should be no difference - there are no special checks for @'s or .'s...

The problem has been that in the past the MPW has not responded always correctly to @ and "." in the username format.  We had a severe problem with Pegasus (remember Walker?).  His setup was never resolved successfully.

Well that's trues but that's the case with any ISP (not only Tiscali), isn't it?

No it is not.  The US Isp format is usually just the username such as "techie". Therefore the format would look like "techie#pop.av.com" and the Smtp would be either "techie#smtp.av.com" or simply "#smtp.av.com"

Hmm, that seems like a bug we should fix... I was not aware of that. I wonder how the MPW is detecting whether an account is 'covered' or not... I'll have this checked.

Yes indeed.  Check with Voj to see if he is looking into this further.

clanger, have you checked the 'Automatically protect all accounts that I create in the future' box in the Mail Protection Wiz?

Checking this box could cause the problem above if the user does not cofigure the username format correctly.  Avast will then stick in 127.0.0.1 after the cross hatch # when it periodically scans for new accounts.

For some reason, and maybe it is because of the longer than usual formatting, Tiscali users have had more problems than others, so I think maybe a clearer Help file is needed or a 'bug fix" on the MPW.

Techie