Author Topic: I need your opinion..  (Read 16440 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: I need your opinion..
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2007, 01:39:44 PM »
Vista has been running on my system since January, the only change I did to hardware was upgrade to 2GB RAM, as 1GB is way to little.  But I do like it especially the security aspects.  IE7 runs in a limited user mode as does the rest of the system.  OK I do get UAC security alerts but they are not a problem they add maybe one second to installing/running a programme.  At least I know that if any bad boy tries to run I will know and be able to deal with it .  The stability is great as with XP I was reinstalling an image backup every few months ( I do like playing)  but on Vista I still have the original install after seven months     

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2007, 04:18:18 PM »
Sash almost every newer distro comes with Beryl or Compiz installed by default, it's a trend these days it seems.
Ubuntu 7.04 comes with Compiz installed by default. Beryl and Compiz projects have merged BTW Beryl Homepage. Ubuntu 7.10 will ship with compiz fusion installed by default.

PCLinuxOS is easier to use than Ubuntu ? I don't agree as it cannot get any simpler to use than Ubuntu IMHO but i would say that KDE is easier to understand than Gnome, for windows users that is . If you want KDE that's where Kubuntu comes in play. But installing and updating software is easier in Ubuntu than in PClinuxOS (again IMHO). However Ubuntu doesn't come with all those multimedia codecs by default like PClinuxOS does due to their philosophy on using only open source software. That is i guess the thing you like the most with PClinuxOS but it certainly isn't the only distro that comes with all those closed source codecs and drivers installed by default. There are many many more out there. BTW here's an easy way to install multimedia codecs and drivers on Ubuntu EasyUbuntu.
Personally i prefer installing things manualy from the repositories.

I am just trying out Sabayon and it looks fantastic. Comes with everything you want and compiz fusion is also there. Worth checking out.

I know, but I didn't mention Compiz-Fusion just because it's still in deep beta, not quite stable. Beryl is something that works out of box without tweaking anything... I am sure Compiz-Fusion is great, but not just yet at this stage...

Anyway, I remember back then when you still had to break your neck searching repositories on Ubuntu/Kubuntu for Beryl, PCLinuxOS already had everything installed and ready to run... even at very first boot after the installation it offers a Beryl configuration page.

Not sure you're 100% right when you say Ubuntu is more user friendly than PCLinuxOS, just because PCLinuxOS is built with that idea in mind. It is well known that PCLOS is one of the most user friendly Linux distros ever.

http://linuxondesktop.blogspot.com/2007/05/pclinuxos-2007-cool-looking-linux.html

one at Ubuntu forums:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=279375

The best thing that comes with PCLinuxOS is there is no or very little trouble with video card drivers. I haven't had a single problem with my video drivers and I use ATI... we all know how Linux can be difficult  on ATI sometimes. Not a single problem. I installed it and everything worked as a charm. I agree, million of different people, million of different preferences... some like Ubuntu, some like PCLinuxOS, and some like everything else... I know that I had some trouble getting my video card to work properly in Ubuntu, and using those high monitor resolutions... there was a load of trouble and manual editing you had to go through to get everything working. I can't call that user friendly...  :-\

Still IMHO, Linux is far from being a real contender to Windows... program support, user friendliness etc. I mean user friendliness is a way better in Windows (even though there are so many things in Windows that actually look more like user non-friendly things).

But it looks like there is a nice and bright future...
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2007, 10:21:45 PM »
Beryl is set up beautifully on PClinuxOS and it really does work great right out of the box not to mention the distro is very polished graphically i agree with that but Ubuntu Studio theme + one of Sash original wallpapers still kicks ass for me !  ;D

Compiz Fusion has been working for me i guess i am lucky in that regard(knock on wood). Have you tried it ? You had any problems getting it to work ? For me it was an easy install no problems at all so it's pretty stable on this end(nvidia end hihi).

It's like you said it all comes down to personal preference i happen to prefer Ubuntu + Compiz Fusion and you prefer PClinuxOS + Beryl.
Your video card drivers don't work well in Ubuntu and my sound card doesn't work at all in PClinuxOS or any other distro built on Mandriva. This is how it is with linux , one distro will work as charm on a particular configuration while on another it will be hell.
For my old Barton machine Ubuntu works best, PClinuxOS works but without sound sad to say.

But i guess the thing that bothers me the most with PClinuxOS is the lack of autoupdate of packages and poor documentation(compared to Ubuntu's that is). PClinuxOS does come with many more things installed by default than Ubuntu but for an average guy who only needs the computer for browsing the web, emailing and writting documents Ubuntu default set of programs is enough. The only thing missing perhaps are the multimedia codecs but those can be installed very easy trough Totem player. AMD/Nvidia drivers can be enabled with one click trough option in GUI however they are not the newest so for some newer cards you might need to download newer ones from the repositories. That is pretty simple as well, both in Ubuntu and PClinuxOS. Configurability wise KDE is light years ahead though. In Gnome you have to manually configure alot of stuff from the console where as in KDE there is a GUI option for almost everything and the menus seem familiar to windows . So Kubuntu or PClinuxOS might be a a better choice for windows users. Personally i don't mind doing things from the console but some people avoid it like the devil since they are used to doing everything from GUI's. I guess it all depends on the users needs and requirements so saying that in general one distro is easier/better to use than the other is impossible. I will say that some things are easier/better done in Ubuntu and some in PClinuxOS both are fantastic distro's very user friendly and leave it at that.

I forgot to mention another rising star distro based on Ubuntu with pretty good looks, included proprietary drivers for AMD/Nvidia, closed source multimedia codecs and Beryl for all of you that want these things installed by default like Sasha does. It's called Linux Mint. Been trying to decide for this over Ubuntu and i might go for it ...

Vista has been running on my system since January, the only change I did to hardware was upgrade to 2GB RAM, as 1GB is way to little.  But I do like it especially the security aspects.  IE7 runs in a limited user mode as does the rest of the system.  OK I do get UAC security alerts but they are not a problem they add maybe one second to installing/running a programme.  At least I know that if any bad boy tries to run I will know and be able to deal with it .  The stability is great as with XP I was reinstalling an image backup every few months ( I do like playing)  but on Vista I still have the original install after seven months     

Then i envy you as i had to reinstall 3 times already and i've been using it for only a month. At first everything seem to be working fine as i reported here but these last few days i've been having some strange stability problems + serious stuttering in games and i've been pulling out my hair on what's wrong. At first i thought it was hardware related probably overheating or something so i ended up opening my comp , pulling out basically every cable every card cleaned the whole bunch put it back in rechecked everything was properly seated and connected i lowered the OC, re-set all the BIOS options but the problems were still there so, i did another Vista reinstall and now it seems to be working again. I still don't know what fixed it though. Perhaps it could be the drivers as i think i got hold of some newer ones for my chipset and graphics card. I sure hope it will work now as i'm getting tired of setting everything up over and over.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 10:26:03 PM by Darth_Mikey »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2007, 11:27:46 PM »
Then i envy you as i had to reinstall 3 times already and i've been using it for only a month. At first everything seem to be working fine as i reported here but these last few days i've been having some strange stability problems + serious stuttering in games and i've been pulling out my hair on what's wrong. At first i thought it was hardware related probably overheating or something so i ended up opening my comp , pulling out basically every cable every card cleaned the whole bunch put it back in rechecked everything was properly seated and connected i lowered the OC, re-set all the BIOS options but the problems were still there so, i did another Vista reinstall and now it seems to be working again. I still don't know what fixed it though. Perhaps it could be the drivers as i think i got hold of some newer ones for my chipset and graphics card. I sure hope it will work now as i'm getting tired of setting everything up over and over.
Two Vista updates NOT released via windows updates that improve stability and performance released about three weeks ago

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3FB80BB9-D832-425B-B42C-D3EB2071BBEC&displaylang=en  This is a performance update. Install this update to improve the performance of Windows Vista in certain scenarios. Additional information about this update can be found in KB Article 938979. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

AND

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=AE2F819D-C33D-48DB-A7E3-62EEF7C1F7C2&displaylang=en  This is a reliability update. Install this update to improve the reliability of Windows Vista in certain scenarios. Additional information about this update can be found in KB Article 938194. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2007, 05:21:13 AM »
Yes, I already posted about these two some time ago in UPDATES thread... trust me they help very little if nothing... sad thing when it comes to such an OS. Worst of all, they postponed release date of Vista so many times, they delayed it like no one before... and they did nothing. I wonder sometimes, maybe those MS developers are not paid enough or something ?!!  ;D

Thread where I wrote about these two sad updates for Vista:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=9671.msg245393#msg245393

I truly hope they will eventually do something about all those issues, and in the mean time, I am enjoying a real OS, OS X...

Cheers!
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2007, 12:03:07 PM »
ooops didn't see that

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »
Thanks essexboy for the links but i had these 2 updates installed since the first day they came out but like Sasha i never noticed any improvements.

My comp seems to be working very well now, infact CMR: DIRT works better than it ever did ! I sure hope it lasts ...