Author Topic: Help with Outlook 2002  (Read 4722 times)

mayakovski

Help with Outlook 2002
« on: February 28, 2004, 08:58:42 PM »
Hello;

I use the "Outlook Personal Folders Backup" add-in for Outlook 2002.  However since I installed Avast home edition I get the following error message when trying to run the backup.

Error Copying File or Folder
"Cannot copy Outlook:  The process cannot access the file because another provess has locked a portion of the file."

Anyone know a way around this?  I like Avast alot but if I cannot backup my email because of it, then I will go back to Norton.

Thanks

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Help with Outlook 2002
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2004, 09:02:55 PM »
Interesting problem - never heard of it yet.

How often do you do the backup?
What you could try is disable the Outlook/Exchange provider while running it.

Either just try pausing the provider, or if this doesn't work, try quitting Outlook, stoping the provider, restarting Outlook and running the backup. That should definitely work as in this scenario, the avast Outlook plugin is not in use at all...

OR - you could just try disabling scanning of already-received mails. Click the avast (a)-ball tray icon, select 'Details >>', double-click Outlook/Exchange and do the change.

Thanks,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

mayakovski

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2004, 09:16:06 PM »
Hmm seems I am in error.

Even with all of the Avast Scanners stopped I still get the error message.  Now I have to figure out whet the problem really is.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2004, 09:20:33 PM »
You can also try temporarily disabling the avast add-in, Outlook -> Tools menu -> Options -> 'Other' tab -> Advanced Options -> Add-In Manager.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2004, 01:54:20 PM »
Hello;
I like Avast alot but if I cannot backup my email because of it, then I will go back to Norton.

Take care man, a lot of users are here precisely because they won over Norton  ;D
Anyway, wellcome to forums. You'll see we can handle your trouble  8)
The best things in life are free.

mayakovski

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2004, 09:37:01 PM »
Hey All;

I got it solved, it was my sidebar calendar that was locking my outlook files.  Everything works fine now.  

One thought though.
It used to be that you could run multiple AV (Anti-Virus) programs at the same time with no trouble at all.  I used to run Norton and Mcafee, then when they started conflicting I switch to Norton and AVG.  AVG does not do a very good job though.  So I switched to Norton and Avast.  HA, could not even get to the logon screen with that combo.  Now I am just using AVAST.  But I don't like it, I do not trust any ONE program to catch everything.  Why can't these programs just "all get along"?  I assume that the programers are tallented enough to do it if they wanted.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2004, 12:07:41 AM »
You should not run more than one av (or firewall, or spamfilter...) in the computer. It's not a matter of the manufacturer or trust... You must trust in the av you are using with the limitations that nobody is perfect.

You can, or better, you should have a layered defense, I mean, different programs doing different protection tasks in the computer... One for each job...

The main reason installation fails or systems freeze when using new AV programs is the inablility of the old ones to uninstall properly. I have had to dig up removal tools for Norton before anything would operate properly. This is not an avast issue, Kaspersky, McAfee and even Grisoft (e-mail plugin) have their own unique uninstall issues as well.
The best things in life are free.

mayakovski

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2004, 05:01:59 PM »
Hi;

Hmm, I see your point but I still have a hard time trusting only ONE AV program to protect me against viruses.  Currently my layered defense includes Avast, Zonealarm, Spambully and keeing everything up to date very regularily.  Oh, and doing complete backups weekly.  So far avast has not missed anything at all.  

Thanks for all the help.  It is great to have such a good forumn for a program, I will all companies were as open as Avast.