Author Topic: Avast vs AVG ( Grisoft)  (Read 23315 times)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Avast vs AVG ( Grisoft)
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 11:00:52 AM »
black_moon

it would be interesting to hear how you you manage to weigh RAM usage against likelihood of infection.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Ãœberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 03:13:52 PM »
which of these two uses more resources? (RAM)

Resources V protection isn't a balance I would tip in favour of less resources, especially RAM as it is cheap and an easy upgrade. Not only that memory is there to be used and managed by the OS that is the whole idea of RAM so you aren't constantly going out to the HDD/swapfile for data, which slows your system more.

You also can't compare apples with oranges when it comes to resources as avast has additional providers which avg doesn't. avast is relatively light on resources, but that also differs from system to system depending on your use and applications running, etc. further making it difficult to compare. This is my avast resource use shortly after boot, this will change depending on use.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jwall

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 05:38:38 PM »

Since I'm frugal (AKA cheap), I tried AGV, avast, and AntiVir  and really couldn't see much of a performance hit worth mentioning with any of them, but I am a newbie ::) and my needs are modest.  I only ran the resident scanner on all three.  I have 1 gig, AMD 3000+, and XP SP2 and I only use Firefox.

I just had some issues with AVG and AntiVir  and I have had none with avast so that's why I'm staying with it.

Just my $0.02 (USD) worth. ;D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 05:56:56 PM by jwall »

black_moon

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2007, 07:14:14 PM »
black_moon

it would be interesting to hear how you you manage to weigh RAM usage against likelihood of infection.

i have used AVG before and i can say that it is more lighter than avast but it did not provide added protection  so i made the switch. also not all users have up to date and fast computers.

nod32 is one good example of a compact, slim antivirus and yet provides great protection. but it does'nt come free unlike AVG/avast.

mojako_2you

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 09:42:42 AM »
Just a simple and boring event....
avg is the worst.....
avast is more powerfull then avg.....
i have already use the avg to many time and at last i having trojan mirror and many trojan that are not detect by the avg virus database as fast we need....
kaspersky is the best antivirus in virus database...
avast is the best free antivirus....
another antivirus dont know.... ;D

cool jay

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 03:31:36 PM »
 ;D my point is avg free does not have the same anti malware even in 7.5
Avast seems just as fast as avg apart from scans.
when the test results are carried out it would be good to see avg free and then avg paid
?? what difference will the anti malware make?
antimalware has to be real time thus avg antilmalware is good as a back up scanner.
avg free did not clean some nasties on my system
Avast seems better only time will tell
happy computers
cool jay

alvast

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2007, 10:52:22 PM »
There is no 100% safe viruskiller.
Use alway a second viruskiller for example dr. web.

My history

throwed away norton years ago
used avast for years
after that norman. But it didn`t find 2 trojans, 1 worm and 1 virus. That dr. web found.
Then i used avg, but wasn`t satisfied with missing a quaritain.
Now i do use avast again. But i am scared because it can`t detect the w32/virut worms.

I have bought dr web viruskiller now but didn`t received it yet.

JerryM

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2007, 12:16:39 AM »
;D my point is avg free does not have the same anti malware even in 7.5
Avast seems just as fast as avg apart from scans.
when the test results are carried out it would be good to see avg free and then avg paid
?? what difference will the anti malware make?
antimalware has to be real time thus avg antilmalware is good as a back up scanner.
avg free did not clean some nasties on my system
Avast seems better only time will tell
happy computers
cool jay

Hi CJ,
The free version of AVG is not as good, detection wise, as Avast Home. If you go to the AV Comparatives site, and look at the on-demand results from 2006 they will be very close I think to what the free version would score.
The addition of the AS module improves AVG a lot, and I think that running an AS application alongside of Avast Home would improve the overall detection by a like amount.

Regards,
Jerry

ght1

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2008, 01:23:39 PM »
News -> AVG 8.0 beta:

"AVG 8.0 offers a completely new multi-threaded scanning engine that combines anti-virus and anti-spyware while retaining the product’s signature small footprint and scanning efficiency. Additional protection is provided in the form of safe searching and safe surfing protection acquired through the recent purchase of Exploit Prevention Labs, rootkit detection, basic security for MSN and ICQ instant messaging, and detection of malware-infected files on websites."

It sounds similar to avast, except rootkit detection?! See the screenshots at the bottom: http://forwardme.de/63fb84.go

Edit: There is no information about the free version  :-X
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 04:01:44 PM by ght1 »

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 08:07:13 PM »
that AVG small footprint is typical myth caused by clever trick where they moved most of the 'load' into low level driver and services ...

so the 'gui' etc shows minimal usage but the real 'framework' behind eats way more than most of users see

way to correctly monitor load is create install w/o AVG and then with AVG and compare global free resources difference ...
ideal job for virtualizing
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive