Author Topic: uTorrent in P2P shield  (Read 6708 times)

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
uTorrent in P2P shield
« on: August 19, 2007, 05:32:37 AM »
For some reason uTorrent is not selected in the normal setting of P2P shield .When I select uTorrent the setting changes to Custom. Is it a bug? Isn't supposed that uTorrent is selected by default in the normal setting of p2p shield? I am using uTorrent 1.7.2 and avast 4.7.1029.
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: uTorrent in P2P shield
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 02:08:00 PM »
It looks like uTorrent has been dropped of the default list of P2P applications, so if you check it you have then customised your setting.

I believe that this has been taken off the default list because of the way utorrent works, it seems to swamp the system and avast is trying to keep up with it and some people find that slows the download, etc. This is just one such topic I found using the search, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=28467.0

I suggest a forum search for utorrent and you should get an idea of the problems some utorrent users experienced and the recommendation was to disable the utorrent scan in the P2P shield and have utorrent scan the completed file with ashQuick.exe.

So it looks like Alwil have taken notice of these issues and unchecked the utorrent in the 'default' settings.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 02:49:56 PM »
That's right, we have removed uTorrent from the default settings as we're unable to efficiently cover it and still prevent the CPU usage spikes (that take place when downloading especially large files).

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 03:09:02 PM »
That's right, we have removed uTorrent from the default settings as we're unable to efficiently cover it and still prevent the CPU usage spikes (that take place when downloading especially large files).
Vlk, if this is the situation, which torrent application would you suggest that will work great with avast?
Is it an application problem or the method of downloading torrents is the problem here?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 03:32:20 PM »
BitComet, probably...

It's about the way the P2P Shield works - and uTorrent works. Unfortunately, there's no easy fix for this...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 03:46:59 PM »
Thanks. I'll give it a try and if it works, I'll drop utorrent to BitComet.
The best things in life are free.