Author Topic: Trojan Horse mljgg.dll  (Read 4205 times)

kni

Trojan Horse mljgg.dll
« on: October 02, 2007, 03:10:17 AM »
I am so dumb with this.  I thought I was covered with Norton and AVG but someone on the forum said they like Avast so I thought I would try it.  I downloaded it last night and ran a scan and it came up with "Trojan Horse C:/Windows/System 32/mljgg.dll
It said to put it in the chest put when I tried to do that the message was "Chest not turned on.  I tried to turn it on and still it won't work.
Then it said" System cannot find file specified. 
How do you do the snapshot of your log?  I know how to do snapshot but do not know how to find the log.   I think I deleted the file trying to get rid of it.  I have had lots of trouble with my computer lately and that could be the problem but I just got it back from the Geek Squad and you would think they would have checked all of that. 
Why do you think it wouldn't let me put it in the chest.  I can't figure it all out.  Like I said I feel dumb.  I am going to run AVG again and see if it finds anything.   :-[KNI

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Trojan Horse mljgg.dll
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 03:19:00 AM »
Norton is preventing the correct installation of avast. 1) Remove NAV through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
2) Use Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista 2008.0.0.21.
3) Boot.
4) Install avast! Boot.
5) See what you get.

Also, you can copy the logs using ashLogV.exe or starting it right clicking the avast skin.
After being avast correctly installed, we can help you with the infection.
Welcome to avast forums.
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 03:36:17 AM »
You would also have to remove AVG anti-virus also, but the primary issue is with Norton it can be a real pig as far as co-existing with any other AV.

Considering that as you say you have just got it by from the geek squad (who ever they are), the mljgg.dll file would appear to be an indication of the Virtumond adware infection.

Vundo Fix Tool
For - Aliases - WinFixer / Virtumonde / Msevents / Trojan.vundo.
Here are the cleansing instructions for Virtumonde: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic18610.html

Download VundoFix.exe to your desktop.

Double-click VundoFix.exe to run it.
When VundoFix re-opens, click the Scan for Vundo button.
Once it's done scanning, click the Remove Vundo button.
You will receive a prompt asking if you want to remove the files, click YES
Once you click yes, your desktop will go blank as it starts removing Vundo.
When completed, it will prompt that it will reboot your computer, click OK.

Note: It is possible that VundoFix encountered a file it could not remove.
In this case, VundoFix will run on reboot, simply follow the above instructions starting from "Click the
Scan for Vundo button." when VundoFix appears at reboot.

A log will be produced which you can post in your next response.

Below is an example of a Vundo infection, though there are many different filenames (yours is likely to be mljgg.dll.

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {EFCB1D95-FFF6-47BB-B6C9-61A523F04322} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\vturr.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: vturr - C:\WINDOWS\system32\vturr.dll
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 03:38:17 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kni

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 10:28:44 PM »
I didn't remove the AVG but I did the Norton.  It was really hard to get rid of too.  Should I get rid of AVG and remove the Aast and start over.  The Avast seems to work fine now, I hope.  But I will do that if necessary.  Is putting the virus in the chest good enough or do I need to run the virus remover you showed me?  Thanks for the help.
Kni

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 11:03:49 PM »
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 12:19:10 AM »
I didn't remove the AVG but I did the Norton.  It was really hard to get rid of too.  Should I get rid of AVG and remove the Aast and start over. 
Kni

It isn't advisable to have two resident AVs they can conflict which could leave you more vulnerable, although you say avast seems to be working OK, it is advisable to uninstall AVG and reboot. Because of the possibility of avast not correctly installing because of the other AVs especially Norton it would probably be advisable to reinstall avast as Tech mentions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security