Author Topic: Evaluating SBS 2003 Suite - Can't login  (Read 10043 times)

TiVoMad

Evaluating SBS 2003 Suite - Can't login
« on: August 20, 2007, 12:16:01 PM »
Hi,
I am trying to evaluate the SBS suite product. I have SBS 2003 R2 installed. The installation of the Management server went without a hitch and there are no errors in the log. The services all appear to be running. The problem is that I cannot log in to the Management Console. I get the error 'The Reqeusted address is not valid in its context'. I am using the default user 'Administrator' with default password 'admin'. There is no firewall running on the server and I don't have ISA installed.

I've tried installing in my lab at home and it worked fine so I'm not sure what is different.

Any ideas ?

Kind Regards.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Evaluating SBS 2003 Suite - Can't login
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 09:17:41 PM »
Does the "Detect servers" feature work? (in the Login dialog)

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

TiVoMad

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 09:43:04 PM »
Does the "Detect servers" feature work? (in the Login dialog)

Thanks
Vlk

Hi Vik,
Yes, it processes for a few seconds and then returns the full dns name of the server (I.E. with the '.local' dns suffix).

Kind Regards,
Trevor.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 09:49:53 PM »
If you're running the console locally (on the server), try using the "localhost" computer name... (without the quotation marks).

Thanks
Vlk

TiVoMad

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 12:28:00 AM »
If you're running the console locally (on the server), try using the "localhost" computer name... (without the quotation marks).

Thanks
Vlk

Hi Vik,
That worked  :) Thank you very much ! Out of interest, why did I have to do this ? It worked fine in my lab. The only difference is I am not running R2 in the lab - is there a subtle difference at the networking level ?

Anyway, I am a happy camper and can now get on with the evaluation.

Kind Regards,
Trevor.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 08:35:47 AM »
It may be because the reverse DNS lookup didn't quite work (e.g. the .local suffix is invalid).

This is how the "detect servers" function works: it sends a UDP broadcast packet on the network, and waits for any responses. Whenever a server responds, the console gets its IP address. It then uses reverse DNS lookup to translate the IP address to a DNS name. This step doesn't always work, though.

Have you tried using the host name without the domain specification? (e.g. "server" instead of "server.local").

Obviously, the solution I proposed in the previous post ("localhost") is not ideal as it only works if you run the console on the server itself (which is not really a normal situation - normally, the console is installed on your workstation).

Thanks
Vlk

TiVoMad

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 09:11:51 AM »
It may be because the reverse DNS lookup didn't quite work (e.g. the .local suffix is invalid).

This is how the "detect servers" function works: it sends a UDP broadcast packet on the network, and waits for any responses. Whenever a server responds, the console gets its IP address. It then uses reverse DNS lookup to translate the IP address to a DNS name. This step doesn't always work, though.

Have you tried using the host name without the domain specification? (e.g. "server" instead of "server.local").

Obviously, the solution I proposed in the previous post ("localhost") is not ideal as it only works if you run the console on the server itself (which is not really a normal situation - normally, the console is installed on your workstation).

Thanks
Vlk

Hi Vlk,
Yes, I tried the name without the domain but that did not work either. Actually, in this scenario the console probably will run on the server and I will access via VNC / Remote Desktop so it's not really a problem. I will try installing a console on a workstation in the domain to see if it will work and let you know.

Anyway, thanks for your help on this.

Kind Regards,
Trevor.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 10:23:22 AM »
Yes, I tried the name without the domain but that did not work either.

Strange... one more question - does the server have more than one NIC? Maybe the AMS listener is binding to the other adapter (if there's more than one).

Also, try using the IP address of the server. It should work, too.

Thanks
Vlk

TiVoMad

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 03:13:16 PM »
Yes, I tried the name without the domain but that did not work either.

Strange... one more question - does the server have more than one NIC? Maybe the AMS listener is binding to the other adapter (if there's more than one).

Also, try using the IP address of the server. It should work, too.

Thanks
Vlk

There is only one NIC in the machine. The server IP address does work as does 127.0.0.1 (of course!).

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 03:28:40 PM »
Strange indeed. So the DNS name does not work but the IP address does?
And you can e.g. "ping" the server using the DNS name, right? (i.e. it resolves OK)

Thanks
Vlk

TiVoMad

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 09:26:26 AM »
Strange indeed. So the DNS name does not work but the IP address does?
And you can e.g. "ping" the server using the DNS name, right? (i.e. it resolves OK)

Thanks
Vlk

Hi Vlk,
Yes, I just checked and I can ping both the netbios name and full dns name from the server and also from the workstations on the network. It's very odd. It's a very 'standard' SBS installation - pretty much default out of the box.

Kind Regards,
Trevor.