Author Topic: new user  (Read 17264 times)

fakeMacGyver

new user
« on: February 29, 2004, 03:24:30 AM »
I have previously discovered & used the home version. Recently, with as new computer, I wanted to install the software again.  At the page, I just read:

"avast! 4 Pro detected all ItW viruses (i.e. viruses known to be 'in the wild')".

I don't recall seeing anything about the home version receiving the award. Can somebody tell me: is it really a less-safe version or can the notice be attributed to both versions? I am using XP.

Offline radicalb21

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • Be Safe. Be Smart. Use Common Sense.
Re:new user
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2004, 03:42:32 AM »
Hey FakeMacgyver,
         It's radicalb21. First let me say welcome to the forum. I will attempt to answer to answer your question. First take a look at the following link:

http://www.avast.com/i_idt_1018.html

The above link shows you the differences between the HOME VERSION AND PRO VERSION. The biggest differences between HOME & PRO are the enhanced user interface, and script blocker. There are other differences as well and they are very minor. Both the HOME & PRO version use the same scan engine and have the same capabilities.
iMac 21.5 " Mid 2011 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

John-

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2004, 11:50:57 AM »
The Home Edition is pretty safe,...the Professional Edition has more advanced options. But the level of antivirus-detection is the same.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2004, 12:19:09 PM »
Welcome to forums ;)

HOME:
-Simple GUI only
-Interval update check
-Basic settings

PRO:
-Simple & Enhanced GUI
-PUSH system update
-Script Blocking
-On-Access Packed files scanning capability
-Advanced settings
-On virus found predefined actions (Clean,Move to Chest,Delete...)
-Task scheduling

Both have the same scanning capability except On-Access packed files scanning which is only in PRO.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2004, 03:10:18 PM »
I'm proud of all of you... Everybody knows everything about avast!  ;)
Wellcome to the family...  ;D
The best things in life are free.

fakeMacGyver

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2004, 09:55:43 PM »
Thanks for your help. Although it is probably easy to understand, could someone tell me more about 'on-access packed files scanning capability' in the Pro version? Does this mean that, in the Home version, a packed file won't even be scanned if I attempt to execute it (and I would have to scan each file normally beforehand)? If so, of course, that would be dangerous & I should go 'Pro'.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2004, 10:01:15 PM »
Well Home Edition scanes packed files too,but its limited only to executable packagers like UPX,ASPack,ASProtect and so on. Packed (compressed) files like ZIP,RAR,CAB won't be scanned by On-Access module in Home Editon. Actually you don't need to worry,because when you run the file from archive it needs to be extracted first,and when its extracted,avast! on-access detects it in TEMP folder (usually). You can scan inside ZIP,RAR,CAB and so on with Explorer extension command (right click on file and Scan)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2004, 12:13:31 AM »
Well Home Edition scanes packed files too,but its limited only to executable packagers like UPX,ASPack,ASProtect and so on. Packed (compressed) files like ZIP,RAR,CAB won't be scanned by On-Access module in Home Editon. Actually you don't need to worry,because when you run the file from archive it needs to be extracted first,and when its extracted,avast! on-access detects it in TEMP folder (usually). You can scan inside ZIP,RAR,CAB and so on with Explorer extension command (right click on file and Scan)

I could be wrong with the new updates but definetivelly the scan capability of Home and Pro version were the same. Not even a difference with packers... At least, that was what Igor and pk said in the near past... I can be wrong, but the differences between the two versions aren't at the scanning and protecting capability. Except, of course, the Script Blocker. Hope this help. If not, somebody correct me  :P

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2004, 09:49:13 AM »
I believe RejZor was saying that you cannot change the default task settings for the resident protection in the Home version (you don't have the Enhanced User Interface to edit the resident protection task) - and by default, it doesn't have the scanning of archives (like ZIP, RAR, ...) turned on - which is true.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2004, 10:14:30 AM »
...but there is a workaround...
If you do a suitable search on this forum, you may actually find something....hint, hint ;D
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

maleas

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2004, 12:36:51 PM »
...but there is a workaround...
If you do a suitable search on this forum, you may actually find something....hint, hint ;D
I've searched and searched and searched... :) Feel quite dizzy actually, since I think I've tried quite a few possible searches for the issue. No success though.

So, would you please (pretty please :) ) provide a direct link for the information? I have just installed the 4.1 Home edition and on-access scanning within packed files is definitely needed.

TIA.-

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2004, 01:52:52 PM »
Vlk, would the hint be a list of extensions for adding into the Standard Shield options?

If so, here it is:

On open: WS?,VBS,VBE,JS,JSE,HTA,WSF,WSH,SHS,SHB,HTM*
Created and modified: ACE,ARC,ARJ,BZIP2,CAB,COM,GZIP,PST,RAR,TAR,ZIP,ZOO,ECE

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2004, 03:21:13 PM »
Doesn't work for compressed archives (ZIP,RAR,CAB...),i have already tried in Home Version :P

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2004, 03:32:24 PM »
What exactly doesn't work, regarding the archives?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2004, 03:33:12 PM »
OK, OK, here's the thread: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=15

But don't tell anyone ;D
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.